Seat belt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat belt restoration

So i have a spare set of seat belts that i would like to restore. Mainly have the seat belts retract like a new car. Anyone have any idea where to find a rebuild kit< or even a link on how to properly rebuild the seat belts. I know i can just buy new ones but I am wanting to try rebuilding whats broken on my car rather than just buy new parts. Its a little important to me.
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
    So i have a spare set of seat belts that i would like to restore. Mainly have the seat belts retract like a new car. Anyone have any idea where to find a rebuild kit< or even a link on how to properly rebuild the seat belts. I know i can just buy new ones but I am wanting to try rebuilding whats broken on my car rather than just buy new parts. Its a little important to me.

This is a goal of mine, too. I have yet to find a reasonable solution. To retract faster seems either a need to replace internal mechanism at worst or simply clean at best. The former requires opening up an item with springs that may never get in.. like smoke in a resistor.

The webbing material is expensive, too, requiring heavy duty stitching. Not a process you can likely DIY. I read once the material deteroriates to a level of impaired performance around the age of ten years. I may try some testing of this.

Search the hotrod forums. That is where I came across a few failed threads and some minor success threads.

Companies online do rebuild them. It tends to be pricey. I'm sure a lot of insurance necessary to operate a service like this. The good thing is, you can get any color belt you want.

This is a site I have considered. 75 per belt replacement. I'd imagine they could repair a faulty retractor, too.
    We're the leading seat belt webbing replacement company in the industry. ✓ We tackle re-webbing ripped, cut, torn, frayed/fraying & dog-chewed seat belts.
    Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 11-08-2015, 04:59 AM.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Al is a member on the BMW2002FAQ forum (known there as "Bluedevils") that repairs, rebuilds, and produces seatbelts. He might be able to give you some advice. He's in North Carolina:

aerkanli@psych.duhs.duke.edu

Comment

I have used Al to get my Red seatbelts and he is great to work with. Worth every penny. For pics, you can view my project thread.
        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
        X