Steering wheel question for airbag e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel question for airbag e30

So my steering wheel is huge and I'd like to go with an aftermarket wheel.

There's an extension behind the wheel that meets the steering column. I'm 5'6 and my legs are pretty short so I need my seat to be moved up to be able to press the clutch all the way down, however the steering wheel then sits just past my knees almost on my lap. Is there any way that with an aftermarket wheel or maybe a short hub it'll help bring the new steering wheel closer to the dash, away from my chest?

I've tried to research it but maybe I'm just not using the right words but I haven't found an answer to my questions yet.
    1992 325i Convertible - "project"
    1994 325is - Daily

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
    So my steering wheel is huge and I'd like to go with an aftermarket wheel.

There's an extension behind the wheel that meets the steering column. I'm 5'6 and my legs are pretty short so I need my seat to be moved up to be able to press the clutch all the way down, however the steering wheel then sits just past my knees almost on my lap. Is there any way that with an aftermarket wheel or maybe a short hub it'll help bring the new steering wheel closer to the dash, away from my chest?

I've tried to research it but maybe I'm just not using the right words but I haven't found an answer to my questions yet.
    I can answer this question pretty well for you. I had a 92 late model airbag and put my 85 Sport wheel on the car.

Yes, the wheel gets closer to the dash, pretty much any non airbag e30 wheel will do it for you. It buys you about 2". You'll also need another large washer to sit behind the large nut which locks the wheel in place, PN 32311120260.

However, the wheel gets closer to the stalks as well. On more than 1 occasion when getting used to this, I'd bump the stalks when turning the wheel.

It would be my assumption that you could remedy this new issue with early model stalks. However, I've personally never tried that, I just got used to the locations of the stalks being closer.
    No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's e30 View Post
      I can answer this question pretty well for you. I had a 92 late model airbag and put my 85 Sport wheel on the car.

Yes, the wheel gets closer to the dash, pretty much any non airbag e30 wheel will do it for you. You'll also need another large washer to sit behind the large nut which locks the wheel in place. I do not remember this p/n offhand. However, the wheel gets closer to the stalks as well. On more than 1 occasion when getting used to this, I'd bump the stalks when turning the wheel.

It would be my assumption that you could remedy this new issue with early model stalks. However, I've personally never tried that, I just got used to the locations of the stalks being closer.
      I don't mind getting used to that, I have small hands too lol. Do you recall what adapter you used? Did it also have the signal cancel tab? Thanks for the reply!

Nvm my question I just realized you used a BMW sport wheel.
      1992 325i Convertible - "project"
      1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by DBShiznit View Post
        I don't mind getting used to that, I have small hands too lol. Do you recall what adapter you used? Did it also have the signal cancel tab? Thanks for the reply!

Nvm my question I just realized you used a BMW sport wheel.
        No problem. And exactly, no adapter, just an additional spacer on a non airbag OEM wheel.
        No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's e30 View Post

Yes, the wheel gets closer to the dash, pretty much any non airbag e30 wheel will do it for you. It buys you about 2". You'll also need another large washer to sit behind the large nut which locks the wheel in place, PN 32311120260.

However, the wheel gets closer to the stalks as well. On more than 1 occasion when getting used to this, I'd bump the stalks when turning the wheel.

When I moved from Airbag to non Airbag Mtech wheel I bought early model stalks and changed them. You dont have too but I wanted it to fit right.

You could also slightly bend your stalks as well.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I went from Airbag wheel to Mtech I to Momo with momo hub. Mtech I and Momo with momo hub were the same with distance from the dash.

Replacing the stalks is easy, make sure you buy the correct shorther ones as there a few different versions of them.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X