No announcement yet.

MkII GTi Recaros in an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww man, now look what you've made me do Josh...

These are NOT the seats i just bought, but identical, mint condition Jetta Helios Recaro's that came from europe a few years back. Mint condition and a killer price.

They're going into my rabbit though... DIRECT FIT!
    1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
    1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
    1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
    1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Small update to this, I got the carpet shampooer out today and did both of the seats, man they look great! Here's the water tank after I got done...

Comment

^that is def not a RECARO^ ;)
        www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Originally posted by lowlightbw View Post
          ^that is def not a RECARO^ ;)
          But if CAME from a Recaro.

So I drank it, and now I feel all nice and German inside.

Although, feeling all German inside feels strangely a lot like it does when I have to shit really bad...

Comment

BE a german and relieve yourself on someone's chest
            www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Did either of you guys get these monsters rebuilt yet? Mine is going to need some surgery and I could use the mental reinforcement.
              Matt

sigpic

Comment

if you have trophys, and need to replace the seat back "horse shoe" padding. i have one i will let go at a good price.
                NOS from VW
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                  if you have trophys, and need to replace the seat back "horse shoe" padding. i have one i will let go at a good price.
                  NOS from VW
                  Me?? I have an SE I think....
                  Matt

sigpic

Comment

you're in tucson aren't you?
                    it really isn't that hard to fix them. how bad are they?

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by alpinaclone View Post
                      Did either of you guys get these monsters rebuilt yet? Mine is going to need some surgery and I could use the mental reinforcement.
                      I still have to wait until I have some spend-able income to buy the replacement bolsters I need.

Comment

they aren't that hard to make yourself.
                        you are a DIY guy. all you need to go to an upholstery supply store, buy high density foam and piece/glue it in where it is crushed or gone. then cut it down to match the rest of the bolster with an electric knife and a box cutter (the kind that have the long blade that you break off as it gets dull)

do it yourself and spend the extra $$ on X mas for the kids, family man

or

more stuff for the car

Comment

The foam in mine is decent. It is more the dis assembly and reassembly I am concerned with. It is prolly not a big deal though, I have messed with worse. I am thinking about taking a crack at the upholstery, which for me, is uncharted waters.
                          Matt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                            they aren't that hard to make yourself.
                            you are a DIY guy. all you need to go to an upholstery supply store, buy high density foam and piece/glue it in where it is crushed or gone. then cut it down to match the rest of the bolster with an electric knife and a box cutter (the kind that have the long blade that you break off as it gets dull)
                            I'm definitely considering doing this. How hard can it be?

Comment

I was browsing through, and couldn't help but cringe at some of the misinformation in this thread. I'll try to clear up some for future reference...

These are Recaro "Trophy" seats. The Trophy designation is for the fabric pattern (black vinyl bolsters with grey cloth insert); not the seat itself. These came in '87 GLI 16v's, with some carry-over into '88's.

(hopefully der affe won't mind me stealing his pic)

These Recaro's are the exact same body/frame as the "Trophy", but obviously, in grey cloth. These were found in '88-'92 GLI 16v's, and *some* '91-'92 16v GTIs. (never mind the cigar burn.. I only paid $44 for the pair ;) )

Helios edition Recaros are the same body/frame as the grey cloth or Trophies. They were found *only* in the '89 Helios Edition Jetta GLI 16v (featured Helios blue paint, with blue-centered BBS RA's, and of course, the matching blue Recaro interior.)

All these aforementioned seats use a power height adjusting base and seat track that's removeable via 4 bolts. Several aftermarket Recaro seat brackets fit these seats directly.

Now the oddball; the non-power grey cloth Recaros. These were found in most '91-'92 16v GTIs, and occasionally, in a 16v GLI as well. They're rare, and completely useless to the E30 crowd, as they use a Recaro upper portion, but a VW base. This means the slider assembly is all part of the lower base, and not removeable, or easily modified to work with anything other than a VW; just like any other regular VW seat.

Note the smaller upper bolsters compared to the power models, as well as the narrow headrests. The lower seat is a completely different shape than full Recaros, with much smaller lower bolsters. Obviously also distinguished by the lack of a power base.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                                X