Switching passenger and driver seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching passenger and driver seat

I've searched, can't find anything specific, but I seem to recall that a passenger seet can be switched to a driver seat.

I have a lead on a perfect passenger seat and want it to replace my driver's seat.

Can I use use the passenger seat directly with some changes or do I need to use existing driver's seat and switch the leather?

Anyone done this?

Seat belt receptacle would be the only problem I could think of.
    - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
    E36 325i sedan
    E30 325i sedan
    Volvo 945T

Comment

You will have to switch the seat belt receptacle like TDE30 said, and the all the controls will be on the opposite side. But it will fit.

Comment

I'm not even sure switching the receptacle will work, because the seat belt is still coming from the b-pillar (to the left of the driver's seat.)
        - Trey

E36 325i sedan
        E30 325i sedan
        Volvo 945T

Comment

I did it. You just transfer the seat belt receptacle. The controls are on the other side as is the cover plate.

It will work but visually you will have to live with it or try something else.
          Good luck.
          Last edited by FL318is; 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TDE30 View Post
            I'm not even sure switching the receptacle will work, because the seat belt is still coming from the b-pillar (to the left of the driver's seat.)
            What? What does that have to do with anything? If the seat is on the other side, then the receptacle needs to be changed as well.

To add to that, the side without the receptacle has a washer in place of the receptacle, so all you need to do is switched them. One bolt on each side. They also have a square hole, not a round hole, so you have to make sure you get it positioned "up".

Comment

It is a simple do!

BTW, I am about to get rid of 4 front seats. All cloth. One set is grey the other is blue. THey are in used condition but can be salvaged. I still have the grey back seat. It is torn. Additionally I have 4 grey door cards (coupe).

If anybody wants part or all let me know. You can have them at no cost! Don't forget shipping complete seats is expensive. Best bet is someone local. I will not pay for shipping. Contact me at recruiter613@juno.com

My zip is 32779
              Last edited by FL318is; 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                What? What does that have to do with anything? If the seat is on the other side, then the receptacle needs to be changed as well.

To add to that, the side without the receptacle has a washer in place of the receptacle, so all you need to do is switched them. One bolt on each side. They also have a square hole, not a round hole, so you have to make sure you get it positioned "up".
                Ah, my bad, misunderstood what you said. I wasn't aware the opposite side of the receptacle had a washer that could be swapped with the receptacle itself.
                - Trey

E36 325i sedan
                E30 325i sedan
                Volvo 945T

Comment

its perfectley doable. but requires some work. you will have to swap out bases and backrests.

1. pull off the backrests back cover, there are 2 phillips screws on the bottom of the cover and then push the cover up twards the headrest and it will come off.

2. on the lower part of the seat. you will see 2 phillips screws holding the backrest to the pivoting mounts, take those off, one on each side. also you will have to remove the wire attaching to the pivot that makes the seat fold forward and lets people get in the back, now slide the backrest straight up off of the pivot.

3. now that the backrest of the seat is off the bottom portion, flip the bottom portion over, on each side of the seat there is a 16mm bolt IIRC. one side holds on the seatbelt, the other side is just a bolt that holds the bottom of the seat to the seat rails.

4. the bottom of the seat can now pivot forward. there are 2 pins that hold the seat to the base now. to take those out, you have to hold in a spring loaded pin on the inner portion of the pin and tap it out with a hammer and punch. now the bottom of the seat will be off the rails that bolt to the car.

5. on the side of the bottom seat will now have the seat pivot attached to it. there will be a lever that goes into the middle of the hinge that you can pry out with a screw driver on each side. and then take the C clips off of center pivot, you can now move the stop that lets the seat backs go full forward and the hinge will slide off of the seat bottom. take both pivots off.

6. swap out both seat backs and asspads in the reverse order you took them apart. all the seat componets will stay with the slides/pivots you took off that side seat, the only things that will swap side to side are the parts coverd in material. they are identical passenger and drivers.

hit me up if you have any questions or if you need pictures.
                  -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post

the only things that will swap side to side are the parts coverd in material. they are identical passenger and drivers.

hit me up if you have any questions or if you need pictures.
                    Awesome! That's exactly the information was interested in. I wasn't planning on literally dropping the passenger seat on the driver's side but in switching the hides out exactly like that.

BTW, the R-22's are suprisingly fun to fly!

Comment

you wont be changing just the hides, but the whole internal seat frame, the leather and the foam. youll see when you get in there, its fairly easy.

and yeh, 22's are a blast.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X