2 window q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 window q's

1: Are all e30 windows the same? As in, will 86 4 dr windows swap with 89 4 dr windows?

2: What are your guys best suggestions to REALLY clean your windows, as in the most stuck-on waterspots you've ever experienced :P

not all E30 windows are the same.. I'd be suspicious about earlier windows fitting a later car. the motors and everything are different on later cars, and the tracks could be too. My friend had a busted passenger window on his 318is, and he got an earlier window from the junkyard. it "worked", but not quite. there's a 1/8" gap at the top of the window and the mounting points were in different spots, so he had to modify the window for it to work.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

most pre 87 2-door ot 4-door are the same, but then the after 88 2 door and 4 door should be interchangable.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

For cleaning your windows

I'd use #0000 grade steel wool (you can get pads cheap from a hardware store. make sure it's #0000 grade and not #000) and Bon Ami Glass & Window Cleaner (http://www.bonami.com/ironing.htm#) which they sell at $0.99 Stores. Then wipe with a microfiber hand towel and apply Rain-X.

Your windows will be so clean that you'll swear you're driving without a windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
          most pre 87 2-door ot 4-door are the same, but then the after 88 2 door and 4 door should be interchangable.
          ?
          I'm trying to trade the windows between my dad's 86 325e and my 89 325i, both 4 door.
          Guess I'll just do it and hope it works :P

Comment

Those waterspots that dont come off are usually acid rain. Steel wool will get them out about half the time. The other half, well, you have to get creative. I've wetsanded my windows before, just messing around, and it turned out fine, but I wouldnt recommend it
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
              Originally posted by rs4pro3
              ?
              I'm trying to trade the windows between my dad's 86 325e and my 89 325i, both 4 door.
              Guess I'll just do it and hope it works :P
              like I said, I can almost gaurantee that it won't.. the window motors, mounts and everything are different. plus it's such a PITA, you'd be better off getting the correct windows and doing the job once instead of twice.

try some cleaner wax or 3m polish on those windows.. I'd bet the polish would get that shit out.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X