Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horn going off randomly with new steering wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn going off randomly with new steering wheel?

Hey R3V-

I refreshed a 370mm mtech 1 wheel with original leather. The horn randomly goes off..... all the time. Sometimes it turns off, also randomly. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why it does this, ie, turning the wheel or hitting a horn button, etc doesn't change anything. I don't feel too good about driving with the horn fuse pulled.

The car was 100% normal with my other mtech 1 wheel. I tried cleaning the contacts on the back of the wheel, readjusting the contact plate, etc.

Anyone ran into this and found a solution? I tried the "normal" stuff.

Thanks-
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Mine just started acting up too. Seems it's isolated to one of the three horn buttons in my case. I haven't taken apart to investigate, but it appears as if the contact underneath the button may be the culprit since it's more sensitive than the others.

Has anyone taken the buttons off-- more importantly, are they removable? Are there any parts that can go bad underneath?

Comment

When in doubt... go to YT. Disassembly shown here

Comment

Yeah, I quickly realized after writing the OP that it was a simple fix. Crazy that was in 2019 haha I feel like that was yesterday.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
        X