school a Noob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

school a Noob...

on HIDs. Yes I know there's a lighting section and I even found a thread with the same problem as me but no one was answering his or my questions.

i'm new to bmws and hids so be gentle...

1) bought this car with 5k HID Ellipsoids already installed, don't know what brand. I found out I need a new bulb (i'm guessing this is the thin glass tube inside the beam or lens, whatever you want to call it)

I had one side that wasn't working and took this bulb (the thing glass tube) out and switched them and found out it wasn't the ballast.

2) So now my REAL question is would you guys recommend just getting the one replacement bulb or getting both new? I did notice that the colors of the two bulbs were never really quite the same, is this normal?

3) And lastly, since i'm not sure of the brand, should I worry about the connections? or do all bulbs plug in the same way? and where would you guys recommend buying from?

thanks once again r3v!
    09/1989 325i 4 Door
    +M30 Swap
    +Z3 Steering Rack

I would just buy a new kit from DDM. Then you would have spare parts if something happened, and they are damn near as cheap as bulbs

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

wow, I didn't think they'd be that cheap for a kit. DDM tuning had one for about 50 bucks.

Might just do this StereoInstaller1 thanks, what would you do ? stay at 5k or go to 6k? I've never seend 6k in person, is it too blue looking?
      09/1989 325i 4 Door
      +M30 Swap
      +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

And when you do buy new ballast, don't worry about them being cheaper or more expensive, IIRC they are all the same.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
        VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

how would I know what bulb type I need?

I'm on the site stereoinstaller recommended but I don't really know what type of bulb I need.

and again, what do you guys think? 5K or 6k?
          09/1989 325i 4 Door
          +M30 Swap
          +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

5k 35W lows with 12k 35w fogs
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

nevermind, the dumbass just found the guide.

the question still stands though, r3v thinks _____ shines better. (5k or 6k)
              09/1989 325i 4 Door
              +M30 Swap
              +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

isn't 12k like almost purple? i thought yellow was better to see through the fog?
                09/1989 325i 4 Door
                +M30 Swap
                +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

yeah its purple, but it looks sorta cool having slight blow lows with purple fogs. if you are really worried about fog just french them and use regular bulbs.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

12K is purple and looks retarded. You know how I know your gay? Because you have purple lights.

Some people go with 3K fogs which look more yellow, kind of a JDM look to have blue-ish lows and yellow fogs.

But if you like all your lights to be the same color, go with 5K all around. Slightly blue, like current BMW OEM lights. 4.5K is pure white.

Comment

oem e39 HID's are 4500k in case anyone was wondering. i think 5k will be fine. a lot of e30 HID people get 6k lights because it is a slightly bluish but still primarily white light.

3k fogs look pretty nice as HIDs but they aren't as "yellow" as i was hoping for.

12k is just dumb, i don't care what kind of car you have.
                      http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

I have 5k 35w lows. I like them.

Comment

if you had 6k, would you LOVE them??
                          1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                          1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                          1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                          1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                          1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                          I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Yeah it seems like a good idea to stick to 5k, don't want to risk having them look too blue
                            09/1989 325i 4 Door
                            +M30 Swap
                            +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

I have 35W 6Ks.

I would rather have 5K.

We did a comparo on a a dark night, 5K all the way.

Closing SOON!
                              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X