• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help? Check Brakes Light

Bulbs - checked/replaced
    Brake sensor switched - checked
    overhead panel - replaced
    tail light back covers - replaced

The initial check brake light on the overhead panel will not go off unless the reset button is pressed on.

All the lights works, tried the above things, no help.

Anyone have this happen before?

What am I missing?

L
    sigpic
    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Isn't this a common E30 problem?

mtechII 5 lug S50

Comment

mine always does this

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
      ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
      Originally posted by JakeP
      with a coathanger

Comment

Mine turns on when I start the car and then goes off when I first tap the brakes.
        1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Originally posted by unrlmth View Post
          Mine turns on when I start the car and then goes off when I first tap the brakes.
          Yes that's what's suppose to happen.

On this particular e30 after you tap brakes it doesn't turn off. Hence my request for help.
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

my old 84 had this same problem....

good luck
            -Andy

Comment

Levent, there is a brake check relay inside the trunk, on the left, behind the carped, bolted to a body support near the antenna. Take it out, replace with a known good one, see if the behavior changes.
              cars beep boop

Comment

I don't really mind tapping my brakes when I start my car, but is there a way to get rid of the "Check Brakes" light on overhead display?
                ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
                ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

Super simple circuit. It's a bunch of relays with the switched contacts wired in series. So the left brake light, right brake light, and CHMSL relay contacts all need to close in order to provide a ground (through a current limiting resistor) to the check panel.

What I would do is turn the key on, and wedge something in between the brake pedal and the seat. Now check control is expecting a ground signal to indicate the brake lights are ok.

Not sure if we are talking early or late, but depending on which chassis you have, locate the CHMSL check relay. It will have four wires going to it, incl. two green/black wires. unplug it, and make a jumper to connect a green/black wire to ground. Did the brake fault light go out? If not try the other green/black wire. (its terminal 3 btw)

If the check light never went out, you have a wiring fault between the CHMSL check relay and check panel. If it did go out, regenerate the fault in check control, and jump the green/black wires together. Does the fault re-clear? If so, CHMSL problems. If not, rear brake light/check relay problems.
                  -Dave
                  2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                    Super simple circuit. It's a bunch of relays with the switched contacts wired in series. So the left brake light, right brake light, and CHMSL relay contacts all need to close in order to provide a ground (through a current limiting resistor) to the check panel.

What I would do is turn the key on, and wedge something in between the brake pedal and the seat. Now check control is expecting a ground signal to indicate the brake lights are ok.

Not sure if we are talking early or late, but depending on which chassis you have, locate the CHMSL check relay. It will have four wires going to it, incl. two green/black wires. unplug it, and make a jumper to connect a green/black wire to ground. Did the brake fault light go out? If not try the other green/black wire. (its terminal 3 btw)

If the check light never went out, you have a wiring fault between the CHMSL check relay and check panel. If it did go out, regenerate the fault in check control, and jump the green/black wires together. Does the fault re-clear? If so, CHMSL problems. If not, rear brake light/check relay problems.
                    Thanks a bunch. Would that prevent me from knowing when my brake lights are actually out?
                    ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
                    ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Zasz View Post
                      Thanks a bunch. Would that prevent me from knowing when my brake lights are actually out?

Yes sir!
                      -Dave

Comment

was the brake switch at the actual pedal replaced?

the wire harness for that plug is pathetic.

-
                        Project
                        Parts for Sale
                        Feedback
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

This stupid light is the only reason cops can still pull me over for no good reason >:(

www.woranges.tumblr.com

Comment

You get pulled over because a red LED on your overhead panel is on?
                            -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                              You get pulled over because a red LED on your overhead panel is on?
                              haha, no, smartass ;) the back rear window tail light, or I've been told by the policia that its one of my taillights. But I assume its the 3rd rear window one, cause it intermittently works

www.woranges.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X