Foglight bulb replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foglight bulb replacement

This is probably a topic that's been covered multiple times but I seem unable to find it; driver side foglight does not turn on, old one did so I'm assuming the bulb is dead in the replacement one I got, but I could not figure out how to change the bulb...taking off the circular piece on the bottom does not appear to give access to the bulb, it just lets you see the bottom of the connector the bulb plugs into. Please help!
    Last edited by Afredo; 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM.
    "Once more into the fray."
    sigpic

The circular cover is the right one. You'll have to sort of rotate it to get it out. You should see a metal spring arm that holds the bulb in. There is a single wire (positive line) to the bulb and it grounds on the socket.

BTW, I had one fog light that wasn't working and after lots of tinkering I found a bad fuse and a bad ground inside the housing. I had power all the way up to inside the housing at the plug, but the ground side was corroded just enough that it wouldn't ground to the bulb cleanly. I ended up wiring in a second ground from the inside of the plug to the other side of the ground plate for the bulb and it worked fine.

Try the bulb first but don't be supprised if it doesn't fix it. Oh, and you'll have to pull the light out again to fix the ground unless you're a hole lot nimbler than I am. Good Luck.

Comment

H3 replacement is the whole assembly, not just the bulb. Unplug the wire, release the bulb assembly. I unbolted my foglight, dropped it out then discovered I could've done it through the small circular plate.
      Matt
      McLean, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Dolmangar View Post
        The circular cover is the right one. You'll have to sort of rotate it to get it out. You should see a metal spring arm that holds the bulb in. There is a single wire (positive line) to the bulb and it grounds on the socket.

BTW, I had one fog light that wasn't working and after lots of tinkering I found a bad fuse and a bad ground inside the housing. I had power all the way up to inside the housing at the plug, but the ground side was corroded just enough that it wouldn't ground to the bulb cleanly. I ended up wiring in a second ground from the inside of the plug to the other side of the ground plate for the bulb and it worked fine.

Try the bulb first but don't be supprised if it doesn't fix it. Oh, and you'll have to pull the light out again to fix the ground unless you're a hole lot nimbler than I am. Good Luck.
        I opened the foglight and there wasn't a bulb or bulb assembly in there at all, so if anyone has the bulb and bulb assembly and could send it to me that would really help me out, or if someone could let me know where to find one. thanks!
        "Once more into the fray."
        sigpic

Comment

go to the auto store and find an H3 bulb (any will work). i assume you still have the wire thing that holds it in. so you will see the terminal that the wire attaches to. the wire thing hooks on something in there to hold the bulb in place. when you see it you will understand.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

The bulb shouldn't be any more than a few bucks. At Advanced Auto Parts they only had the fancy bulbs on the shelf (which are $20 each) I had to ask for just standard H3 bulbs and they had more in the back.

Oh and the book at the store said H1 bulbs, maybe some years have them but it was wrong for my '88. Once you see the bulb it will make sense what it takes to put it in.

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
            go to the auto store and find an H3 bulb (any will work). i assume you still have the wire thing that holds it in. so you will see the terminal that the wire attaches to. the wire thing hooks on something in there to hold the bulb in place. when you see it you will understand.

Comment

Working...
            X