Aiming Smileys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aiming Smileys?

I love my Euro Smileys, but I was wondering how adjustable they are. I'd love to be able to aim them better.

I can see about 40-50 feet ahead of me, but if there are no other cars nearby, beyond that is COMPLETELY dark.

Also, both sides seem to angle in the same direction. For someone like myself who is obsessed with symmetry, this is very unnerving.

Sooo, anybody want to point me in the right direction for smiley aiming help?

THANKS!

Oh yeah one more thing. Are the low beams supposed to go off when you turn the high beams on?
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

How to adjust your headlights http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

They are suposed to be angled in the same direction. Point is not to blind
    others and be able to see signs on the side of the road better.

And I can't say for sure if the low beam are suposed to stay on or not when
    your high beams are on but on my car they do (my fogs stay on as well so
    my car as been modified thats why I can't say for sure)

Charley

Comment

Thanks, man. According to those diagrams, my headlights are properly aimed.

That's all I needed to know. Now I can focus my hypochodriac brain on something else.
      current:

Comment

My question is HOW do you adjust the light? Which tab makes the light go vertical? I need to lower my passenger headlamp a bit.
        1997 Artic Silver M3
        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

First of all, make sure you have left hand drive cut off _/ vs right hand drive \_. If your lights came from the UK they are probably set to right hand drive. Secondly, go find yourself a large wall and park a good distance from it when you aim your lights. Get some lubricant on those adjusters so you can adjust them without stressing the plastic. It's easier when you can adjust them by hand. The bottom adjuster is up/down and top adjuster is left/right. You have to play with both to get the right positioning.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Great info....would you happen to know which way to turn for up/down? The adjusters should be able to adjust by hand? If not, I will spray them down with some degreaser or the stuff used to soften bolts....
            1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Remind me to slap you when you come back, you thought we would install them misaimed?
              sigpic
              New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
              %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Uh.....me?
                1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                  Remind me to slap you when you come back, you thought we would install them misaimed?
                  No, dingus. I'm just a hypochondriac.....you know that!

They were installed beautifully
                  Last edited by BrooklynMW; 02-11-2011, 11:21 AM.
                  current:

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone else was aware of this, but I found adjusting the height to be VERY easy......in front, next to the lens, is a phillips head screw. Instead of trying to turn on the plastic part, just turn the screw.....I can't remember clockwise/counterclockwise, but it was extremely easy to raise and lower the light this way. A little PB blaster I'm sure loosen things up!
                    1997 Artic Silver M3

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis Jung View Post
                      I'm not sure if anyone else was aware of this, but I found adjusting the height to be VERY easy......in front, next to the lens, is a phillips head screw. Instead of trying to turn on the plastic part, just turn the screw.....I can't remember clockwise/counterclockwise, but it was extremely easy to raise and lower the light this way. A little PB blaster I'm sure loosen things up!
                      That's another way to achieve the same thing. I don't like doing it this way because it's hard to judge how many revolutions you turned the screws, have to remove the grills, and you could break the plastic grommet that the ball sits in if you use too much pressure. It does adjust them a lot faster but it's harder to fine tune them this way in my opinion.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                      X