No power to passenger side low-beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power to passenger side low-beam

so for about the past month, my passenger side low-beam would work intermittently. usually if it didnt work when i first started the car it would come on withing ten or fifteen minutes. then a couple of nights ago i went out to my car, turned on the lights, and the llow-beam flickered a couple times then went out.

it hasnt worked since.

this is a prolem, as i have already gotten pulled over once for it. no ticket though. i have 12v for both lights at the fuse box, but like .5v at the light. i swapped out the relay in the fuse box as well.

any other ideas? i visually looked at the wiring as close as i could, from the fuse box to the light. not much to see, its all wrapped up.

this is on a car converted to us ellipsoids and ddm hid's.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
    Originally posted by JakeP
    with a coathanger

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
    so for about the past month, my passenger side low-beam would work intermittently. usually if it didnt work when i first started the car it would come on withing ten or fifteen minutes. then a couple of nights ago i went out to my car, turned on the lights, and the llow-beam flickered a couple times then went out.

it hasnt worked since.

this is a prolem, as i have already gotten pulled over once for it. no ticket though. i have 12v for both lights at the fuse box, but like .5v at the light. i swapped out the relay in the fuse box as well.

any other ideas? i visually looked at the wiring as close as i could, from the fuse box to the light. not much to see, its all wrapped up.

this is on a car converted to us ellipsoids and ddm hid's.
    ummm try changing the bulb? most obvious thing next to check, after checking the fuse :-) replace your bulb man..lol.
    sigpic

Comment

i know, im not stupid. the problem is that there is no power. but yes, numerous bulbs have been checked.

ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
      with a coathanger

Comment

i know, im not stupid. the problem is that there is no power. but yes, numerous bulbs have been checked.
        check for ground. most likely short somewhere in your HID wiring; maybe the ballast?
        sigpic

Comment

No. When all the hid stuff is elminated and I just use a regular bulb it still doesn't work. The wires coming out of the wiring harness have no power, I tested them.

with a coathanger

Comment

No. When all the hid stuff is elminated and I just use a regular bulb it still doesn't work. The wires coming out of the wiring harness have no power, I tested them.
            did you check contacts in the plug for corrosion? if you tested and they are crusty you may not get a good ground for checking power. If this is good you have a break somewhere and will need to trace it back to the fuse box. I mean if you have power at the fuse then it's somewhere between that in the light socket.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm testing the wires themselves. Since my car did not originally come with ellipsoids, I have the ellipsoid connecters attached to the wires with spade connecters. Testing one side side I get power, testing the other side the exact same way on the cleaned connectors I get almost nothing. Like I guess my question is how many places between the fuse box and the plug are there that could get messed up. Plugs, wire passing over sharp edges, etc. I feel like I have been very thorough and still don't know what the problem is.

with a coathanger

Comment

since you mentioned the spade connectors my only guess would be loose connection, or just not making the best contact. However this could be due to vibrations as well. Idk, perhaps rewiring but you said you tested the voltage and it was lower. Keep us updated on your findings

Comment

I'm testing the wires themselves. Since my car did not originally come with ellipsoids, I have the ellipsoid connecters attached to the wires with spade connecters. Testing one side side I get power, testing the other side the exact same way on the cleaned connectors I get almost nothing. Like I guess my question is how many places between the fuse box and the plug are there that could get messed up. Plugs, wire passing over sharp edges, etc. I feel like I have been very thorough and still don't know what the problem is.
                  the problem we can experience when adding in additional plugs or wires is the contact point. Each time we add a connector in without proper contact we create resistance. the more spade connectors or splicing/bridging we get resistance. Sounds to be you are getting voltage but not enough. So power is there. If power wasn't then you simply wouldn't get any voltage. So there is resistance occurring on the line and I suspect it is between the spade connectors which are one your pig tails going into the factory plug. I'd remove the pig tails and test for the factory plugs for power first. since you already tested from the pig tails you know power is weak. remove it and go further up which would be the factory socket.

If that isn't the problem, then you will unfortunately have to trace the problem all the way back to the fuse box. I haven't run into this problem with any of the 12 I've owned since electrical problems on these cars isn't that common if the electrical wires weren't tampered with.

I suspect it is your plugs. look for broken or cracked wires where they enter into the plug housing.

GL
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X