Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED city lights

Guys with euro headlights,

I'm looking in to a nice LED bulb for my city lights, the 158 bulbs are too dim and yellow for my taste. I've ran across lots of options but am unsure about what kind of lumen output I should aim for, given that LEDs throw more of their light forward (where it's useful) as opposed to incandescents which scatter it everywhere and rely on the reflector to pick it up.

A 158-base 12W bulb is about 25 lumens @ 3100K. I've ran across LEDs that range from 7-60 lumens @6000K. I'm unsure about just how much light would be best... any input?

Upgrade your vehicle map, vanity, and dashboard lighting with our LED mini wedge bulbs. Shop standard or CAN Bus bulbs in various color and white options!

I'm not sure what you're expecting, but city lights aren't designed to light up the road. but I suppose you can try the brightest and go from there, they're generally cheap right?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't want them to light up the road, just look better than the sickly yellow that the 158s put out. Crisp & white without being overpowering.

Comment

I just did abunch of superbrightled in my car, didnt do the city lights (but probably will) but the interior lights and dome lights work the best, the tail light/brake light type are actually dimmer than the stock bulbs

Comment

Is there a good way to shut off the city lights while the headlights are on? I'm sure they're unnecessary and I'm worried the heat generated by the headlight could damage the LED if it's left running.

Comment

I don't think it will matter if the LED is on or not if it's getting overheated by the main bulb. I also don't think it will get all that hot.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I ordered a few different kinds, ranging from 11 lumens to 60. I'll try them out and see how I like them; anything I don't use I'll put up for sale.

I also got a few of their festoon-type bulbs for my interior light (convertibles have only 1) and license plate lights.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                I also got a few of their festoon-type bulbs for my interior light (convertibles have only 1) and license plate lights.
                These were the only ones i was impressed with. Really lit up my interior on my coupe. License plate ones took a little bit of love to keep them from shutting off

Comment

I have a set of LED's in my city lights and they dont reflect in the housing/ring as normal bulbs do. It just creates two small spots. At least they are white though lol
                  Originally posted by FredK
                  However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                  Feedback

Comment

yeah, the problem with most of the small LED replacement bulbs is that they project the light outwards, unlike incandescent which is a point light and has basically 360 degree light projection (accept where it is blocked by the bulb holder).

some people wont mind it, but it will render your reflector basically useless. however, the city-light reflector is rendered useless on smoked euro headlights anyways.

Comment

Just get the silver or hyper white 158s. LEDs create a nuisance hot spot like staring into a projector.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like the yellowish look in the interior. Makes it warm and cosy.
                        I bought some LED city lights on eBay. One pair of yellow (just to try), and one pair of white.

Uploading pics...
                        '91 E30 316i
                        '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                          Just get the silver or hyper white 158s. LEDs create a nuisance hot spot like staring into a projector.
                          I looked for those but could never find any :(

Comment

To bright and blueish for me :(
                            '91 E30 316i
                            '97 Rover Mini 1275

Comment

I found some a few years back, havent seen em since then though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X