What's the deal with sealed beams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with sealed beams?

I'm lookin to pick up an 87 325is and from what I've read around is that sealed beams are NOT preferable. I'm kinda new to all this kind of stuff so please bare with me here lol.

I understand what sealed beams are, but how hard would it be to convert to regular beams if possible?
    and how can i know if the e30 i want to pick up has sealed beams or not?

i've kind of searched around and didn't find much so help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

they suck...
    sigpic
    ^Back in the game^
    BUILD THREAD: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201281
    FS thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214105

Comment

sealed beams are way way cheaper than projectors. aesthetically, the ellipsoid projectors looks so much better and also expensive.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      ---------------------------------
      89 E30 S52
      ---------------------------------
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Easy and cheap swap, that should be the least of your concerns imho. $100-150 will get you a nice/mint set.

Look at other things.....maintenance/body/paint/interior....suspension/engine/tranny/dash/seats/rust/carpet/headliner etc etc.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

get some hid's and you will be happy lol

Comment

"sealed beams" have a rounded front. the "projectors" have a flat face. easy to tell the difference if you just look
            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
            Got Drop?? ;-)
            Originally posted by JinormusJ
            But of course
            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

thanks for the info guys! so i'm guessing sealed beams came standard all years and the projectors were optional?

Comment

Sealed beams were mandatory in the US for a while, hence everything having them.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Ellipsoids were optional, but are common and quite a nice upgrade. Sealed beams have poor lighting quality.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Whether an e30 has sealed beams should be the least of your concerns when you buy one. They're very easy to swap to ellipsoids if you want. Be much more concerned with the condition of the car.

Comment

Lies. US e30s up to '87 had sealed beams. Then ellipsoid headlights ended on '89 year cars. '90+ were back to sealed beams.

And yes, there have been people who have switched them out over the years, but it wasnt an off the shelf bmw option as the cars are wired differently for each light style.

This is why '89is cars were pulling top dollar for a while. Plastic bumpers, ellipsoids, and no airbag.
                      sigpic

Comment

You can go from Sealed beam to H4/H1 with no wiring modification, IIRC.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

They suck bags of dicks.

Comment

are there different brand's of projector headlights for e30's?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                              They suck bags of dicks.
                              LOL well said!

Originally posted by redhatpat View Post
                              Whether an e30 has sealed beams should be the least of your concerns when you buy one. They're very easy to swap to ellipsoids if you want. Be much more concerned with the condition of the car.
                              it is, but its just something that im keeping in mind. i'm also just learning some more general info on the e30.

thanks again for the responses!

Comment

Working...
                              X