Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City light bulbs. What are you guys using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City light bulbs. What are you guys using?

The regular city light 194 bulbs are dull, yellowish, and ugly. Since they are always on (at least the way my car is wired up), I'm looking for something that will better match HID or Osram Silverstars etc.

I know that there are "super-white" 194 bulbs, however, they are blue tinted, like most white headlight bulbs.

I don't think LEDs would be a great idea, since it would be like a spot of light, not a very good light dispersion.

I know Phillips make silvervision lights, that looks silver, but light up orange for turnsignals and what not, is there something similar in the 194 size?
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Originally posted by royalflush313
    The regular city light 194 bulbs are dull, yellowish, and ugly. Since they are always on (at least the way my car is wired up), I'm looking for something that will better match HID or Osram Silverstars etc.

I know that there are "super-white" 194 bulbs, however, they are blue tinted, like most white headlight bulbs.

I don't think LEDs would be a great idea, since it would be like a spot of light, not a very good light dispersion.

I know Phillips make silvervision lights, that looks silver, but light up orange for turnsignals and what not, is there something similar in the 194 size?
    Personally, I like the dull yellowish bulbs that came with my smoked hellas. Since most of us run a whiter headlight bulb anyway, you can tell the city light is a separate light. I think if you had bulbs that matched, it'd just look like a regular sealed beam light. On the other hand, I hate when people throw red or blue bulbs in there, it looks cheap.
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

want to post a pic of your dullish lights on with and without the low beam.

Comment

I'm using whatever came with my lights - I believe the bulb is made by osram.

I always thought it would be cool to make a timer for them to stay on for a few seconds after you turn your car off (so you can see when you're walking to your front door or whatever), but they don't really light up all that much so it would be pretty pointless.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

here are mine:

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
            Personally, I like the dull yellowish bulbs that came with my smoked hellas. Since most of us run a whiter headlight bulb anyway, you can tell the city light is a separate light. I think if you had bulbs that matched, it'd just look like a regular sealed beam light. On the other hand, I hate when people throw red or blue bulbs in there, it looks cheap.
            yah Im not talking about putting in red or blue, or any other colored bulbs.

I just want something that looks more white.
            As far as it looking like a regular sealed beam light - yah I have no idea what you are talking about.
            ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

is there any way to find maybe an LED white light (pure white not blue) and then use a white diffuser to reduce the point-source directionality of them?

you know, one of those bulb condom diffusers but in white/clearish etc.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
                As far as it looking like a regular sealed beam light - yah I have no idea what you are talking about.
                This could be way off, but i guess I'm just saying that with two like-colored bulbs, it looks like one big bulb. Ellipsoids only project a small circle of light from the center of the housing, while the sealed beams fill the whole housing...just look at nando's pic with the highs on (housing illuminates like a sealed beam). I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's still early.
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I've always wanted a yellow bulb, but I've never found one.
                  The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is

eautoworks.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, eautoworks.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
                    '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
                    '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
                    SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is
                      colored bulbs (and inlcluding blue tinted super white bulbs) are fairly easy to find. Check out eBay for cheap cheap bulbs.
                      The problem is, you are going to be able to see it from the outside of the lens, and I think that it would look ugly.

That's why I'm looking for a silvervision type product.

Beej'86, I guess I hear what you are saying. But I don't think it will be much of an issue.
                      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Working...
                      X