Hella H4 Kits & Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hella H4 Kits & Question

Hey guys, I want to replace my sealed low-beams with Hella H4's. Passenger side is burnt out so I'm looking to upgrade. Will this kit work (PnP)? Will I need to up the fuse?

I can't afford much time to do my research, and I don't have much money so I just need to be able to click, purchase and install for a decent price. Any insight?

I also have one question; when I put on my high-beams the driver-side low-beam stays on. I have 3 headlights on. What could this be? Relay? The problem existed before the passenger side low-beam burnt out.

Thanks
    1981 320is, Alpine White, 5 speed (Sold)
    1992 318is, Brillantrot, 5 speed (Sold)
    1996 328i, Montreal Blau, 5 speed (Sold)
    1991 325i Coupe, Alpine White II, 5 speed (Current)

Yes. No, I once ran 80w bulbs without any problems with the wiring or fuse. That is not exactly a problem. In fact many people prefer their low beams stay on with the high beams but yes, there's a relay modification that was probably done OR someone installed the proper relay that allows this.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

With h4 all four lights would be on with high beams. No mods will be required.
      The same hella setup can be has for less from rally lights. Google them.
      Hella have very quality h4 setups. Wothty upgrade from sealed beams.

Comment

so I can put these: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=351 in my car and they are direct replacement from sealed beams and they kick ass?

no jumping relays?

Comment

Yeah, those would work, direct swap with h4 bulb, but only for low beams.

Comment

Use rally lights they are awesome !
            -His-
            87 e30 325i
            87 e24 m6
            05 e83 x3
            94 e32 740i 5spd
            -Hers-
            89 e30 325i
            18 f48 x1

Comment

H4 questions

Originally posted by Falconer View Post
              Hey guys, I want to replace my sealed low-beams with Hella H4's. Passenger side is burnt out .... I also have one question; when I put on my high-beams the driver-side low-beam stays on. I have 3 headlights on. What could this be? Relay? The problem existed before the passenger side low-beam burnt out.

Thanks
              Hmm, your passenger side low beam is burned out. Actually, the 'low beam' is both a low and high beam. When you switch to high, you should have all four headlights lighting. Hence the replacement lights use H4 bulbs, which contain both low and high beam filaments.

The way US sealed beams work, there are two low beam lamps, the outer lights. There are FOUR high beam lamps, ALL FOUR should lights. When you switch to highs, the low beam filaments go off and the high beam filaments come on. There are two in the inner lights, two in the outer lights. That's why on High beam, you should see all four lights on, but the lows have actually gone off and been replaced with highs within the outer headlights.

The easiest way to see this is to unplug all headlights but one low beam (outer) light, then watch the light pattern on a wall carefully as you switch low to high and back. You should see a change in the light pattern. In you case, leave the left side plugged in for the test, since the right side is gefutzt.

Those Hellas from Susquehanna are good lights, but I can't vouch for the lamps, they are 'overwattage' so may need higher fuse ratings. Try them with the stock rated fuse, see if they blow, they might be fine.

If you have the inclination, be sure to check and tighten the ground wires, they get a workout when you increase the lamp watts.

Good luck!
              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post

If you have the inclination, be sure to check and tighten the ground wires, they get a workout when you increase the lamp watts.

Good luck!
                Missed this post. Thanks for the advice. Found some Bosch H4's that are higher wattage and had to up the fuses. Will check the ground now.

If anyone reads this, is there a difference in quality between Hella and Bosch's H4?
                1981 320is, Alpine White, 5 speed (Sold)
                1992 318is, Brillantrot, 5 speed (Sold)
                1996 328i, Montreal Blau, 5 speed (Sold)
                1991 325i Coupe, Alpine White II, 5 speed (Current)

Comment

H4

Are the h4 lights superior to us spec ellipsoids? I need more light.
                  1989 325ix(sold)
                  1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Comment

Originally posted by Lenwood View Post
                    Are the h4 lights superior to us spec ellipsoids? I need more light.

yes. i use a higher wattage bulb though, i would have to check to make sure the wattage.
                    My old Style 5 Thread / My Swap
                    1991 318IS :bow: 2.5L S14 Swap/BC Coilover suspension/Some new (old) wheels/
                    IS Skirt-Lip/RG Splitter/M-Technic I Spoiler/Dogleg/3.46 Diff/Euro H4 headlights etc.
                    1998 528I (Sold) // 2003 540I ///M Sport

Comment

Working...
                    X