X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325i sedan.. SO MY TURN SIGNALS DON'T FUNCTIONS

Just was wondering if some one could poinjt me in the proper direction
    325i sedan 89

So my turn signals don't work no hazards lights either.
    The tick doesn't come on when I engage em neither do the lights work either in the cluster or out side.

HOWEVER

I kept engaging em out of habit and they did happen to come on once or twice inside and in my cluster but not for long.

I've never worked on any of this stuff anyone have any input?

Start at the stalk and then to relays. Search is your friend

Comment

Sounds like a bad relay. It's located under the steering column cover attached to the turn signal stalk.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Check your hazard switch. If it's unplugged none of the directionals will function.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

cletonius- where would it be un plugged if so? or better yet where would i plug it in if it is/.

Elva - is there a special way to taking off the bottom piece of the steering column i unscrewed it (only had 2 screws) now it seems to be stuck on steering wheel do i need to take that off too?

Comment

Originally posted by Benito_URGOVKURUPTS View Post
            cletonius- where would it be un plugged if so? or better yet where would i plug it in if it is/.

Elva - is there a special way to taking off the bottom piece of the steering column i unscrewed it (only had 2 screws) now it seems to be stuck on steering wheel do i need to take that off too?
            There are wires connected to the back of the switch. Pull one of the blanks and pop the hazard switch forward. Should be able to pull the connector with it.

There are 2 screws that are only accessible with the wheel off iirc. You've got to remove the cluster surround, knee bolster, and the trim below the cluster.

Well, maybe not all of that but I had all that out first before I pulled the column trim last time.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Ironically, my flasher relay went bad today. :down: I'm about to do this right now, so I'll tell you the exact process when I'm done.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Alright.

1. Remove the panel under the dash and above the pedals. On your late model car, that'll involve some 10mm (I think) bolts and those little plastic screws that you turn 90º and they come out.

2. (Airbag cars only) Remove the little panel on the underside of the steering column (little rectangular one) and unplug the orange plug. That activates the airbag system.

3. Remove steering wheel. This requires a 22mm socket and ratchet (or a 7/8 if you have American stuff). Make sure to lock the wheel to break the nut free, then remove the steering lock to remove the wheel from the column. Make sure to pay attention to the orientation of the steering wheel before removal.

4. Remove panel under steering column. The two screws you already move hold it on, as well as two more just behind the steering wheel.

5. Remove the flasher relay from its plug on the left-hand side of the column. It's a black rectangular relay, it's pretty much by itself there.

6. Install and test new relay.

7. Reassembly is the opposite of disassembly.

Comment

Damn bro that's wussup. I'm going to do this first thing tomorrow morning ill le you fellas know what the results are. Thanks.

Comment

:up:

Comment

Elva- your the shit bro it was the fucken relay man there working now. Thanks

Comment

Awesome, glad to hear it. Hope everything went apart and together easily enough.

Comment

Yeaa it actually was.

Comment

Yo but I got another problem now.
                            So my lights aren't working again. Same problem only this time the hazards work still.

Comment

They're the same for the hazard flashers, but fuses 4 and 24 deal with turn signals. Is it possible it could be the turn signal stalk? Do the other functions on the stalk work (high beam/flasher)? If the relay works and the hazards work, then the hazard flasher is okay. Stalk would be my next thing other than fuses.

Comment

Working...
                              X