Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What voltage do the license plates light get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What voltage do the license plates light get?

So currently my license plate lights don't work. I measured them last night and saw they were getting 0.7V...I get the feeling it should be seeing 12V? Would the wiring be so old that it's providing too much resistance? I'd love to get these working and put some LED bulbs in there :):)
    1986 325
    1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

12v, just like it says on the bulbs.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

You are measureing with a digital volt meter, that's why you read .7volts. You really have nothing.
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Ok so I understand that much but I'm wondering what would be the cause of this voltage drop
        1986 325
        1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

Comment

It's not voltage drop, you have zero voltage there. Voltage drop would show some voltage, and you don't have that.
          This means either the wire is damaged/cut, or some other damage that is not allowing the power to get to the lights.
          Last edited by Todd Black 88; 03-05-2014, 10:26 PM.
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
            It's not voltage drop, you have zero voltage there. Voltage drop would show some voltage, and you don't have that.
            This means either the wire is damaged/cut, the brake switch is faulty, or some other damage that is not allowing the power to get to the brake lights? FUSE?
            Why do you refer to the brakes? Are the license plate lights tethered to the same wiring as the brakes?

All fuses have been replaced a couple months ago. That's the first place I check.
            1986 325
            1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

Comment

brake lights and license plate lights run on separate power. unfortunately you might have to trace some wires and continue searching for where the power stops. there is a splice in the wiring that sends power to the plate lights near the middle of the door area on the main driver side harness.

also, look into jumping the power around your active check relay to see if that is causing the issue. the active check relay mounts near the power antenna in the trunk. e30 wiki has wiring diagrams for active check that will tell you which wires are the power in for the plate lights and which ones take the power from the relay to the bulbs. if i remember right there is only one power line in and out and it just splices into two after the relay to supply power to both bulbs

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
              IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                brake lights and license plate lights run on separate power. unfortunately you might have to trace some wires and continue searching for where the power stops. there is a splice in the wiring that sends power to the plate lights near the middle of the door area on the main driver side harness.

also, look into jumping the power around your active check relay to see if that is causing the issue. the active check relay mounts near the power antenna in the trunk. e30 wiki has wiring diagrams for active check that will tell you which wires are the power in for the plate lights and which ones take the power from the relay to the bulbs. if i remember right there is only one power line in and out and it just splices into two after the relay to supply power to both bulbs
                Thanks mitchlikesbikes! That was most informative. Im hoping to tackle this little problem this weekend and I guess since ill be near the antenna I might as well replace my broken mast too >.>
                1986 325
                1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

Comment

Originally posted by azndeugene View Post
                  Why do you refer to the brakes? Are the license plate lights tethered to the same wiring as the brakes?

All fuses have been replaced a couple months ago. That's the first place I check.
                  Sorry, brain fart. I had brake lights on my mind.
                  2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Did you check at the wires or at the tabs where the lights click in at? My bulb holder tabs had a bit of a bad connection that I fixed with a soldering iron...
                    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                    Originally posted by roguetoaster
                    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                      Did you check at the wires or at the tabs where the lights click in at? My bulb holder tabs had a bit of a bad connection that I fixed with a soldering iron...

I removed the lighting fixture and measured at the spade connector. They seem to be on their pretty solid.
                      1986 325
                      1988 325is 2.7 Stroker

Comment

Working...
                      X