Anyone with Hella H4/H1, come in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with Hella H4/H1, come in.

Do the Hella H1 assemblies plug right into the factory sealed beam connectors or not?

I have a pair, and the plugs are very different. The stock connector has two prongs, parellel (| |) and the H1 bulb and assembly prongs are perpendicular (| _). I was also under the impression that the H1's are plug and play just like the H4's, am I wrong?

not plug and play some wiring is needed to make the highs independent of the lows, so all 4 can be on
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

The housing doesnt matter, it's the bulb. I have H4/H1s and had no problems. They plugged in just like sealed beams.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Ely, I have already rewired the entire Canadian DRL headlamp system, and taken care of the high beam issue. I'm just talking about physically plugging in the H1's.

Ken, I guess I'll have to take a picture for you. There is only one way the H1 bulb can go in thanks to the little notch, and when you insert it this way the prong is perpendicular to the other prong.

Comment

Hey jay call me if you want some h1 silverstars, lol for the highs. I have 2 pairs i bought from the group buy.

Comment

WTF are you smoking you donkey from Candadadia?

Mine were direct plug and play. You fucking canadians always fucking shit up....
            Don't you know, R3V says Urio Eleeeeeep's FOR DA WIN!
            Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
              Do the Hella H1 assemblies plug right into the factory sealed beam connectors or not?

I have a pair, and the plugs are very different. The stock connector has two prongs, parellel (| |) and the H1 bulb and assembly prongs are perpendicular (| _). I was also under the impression that the H1's are plug and play just like the H4's, am I wrong?
              H1 bulbs have 1 prong.

To get them to work with the E30 harness you need the adapter.

Comment

the hella H1/H4 assemblies plug right into the sealed beam connectors. the H1 bulb itself is inside the housing, you don't attatch any wires directly to it - just like euro ellipsoids.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by arsevader
                  To get them to work with the E30 harness you need the adapter.

http://www.verrill.com/car/lights/alt/index.htm
                  This is exactly my situation. I knew I wasn't crazy, I must have some old-style H1's or I have a different backing of some sort. My H1 assemblies have just the bare bulb and ground prong on the back, just like the H4 assemblies. They are nothing like ellipsoid housings at all.

I'll fab up some little connectors and make it work. Just wanted to clarify why the hell my install wasn't as easy as everyone else's. Oh and Trev I already have a pair of Silverstars, thanks.

Comment

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...71&hg=63&fg=05
                    You need #20 and #21 then the stock plug plugs right in. I had to order 2 new at the dealer and I don't remeber them costing that much.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Thanks Ely, it does look like the ellips caps will work. I guess I'll only need #21's though, the HID harnesses wouldn't work with the low beam caps (although it would a lot cleaner if they did).

So just to clarify, the high beam Hella caps will fit right onto my H1 sealed beam conversion housings (not ellips)?

Comment

Working...
                      X