morimoto, $150 overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got the kit today. Looks like I could eliminate about a mile of unnecessary wiring. As far as build quality not sure if its that much better than a DDM. Connections are the same as cheap ebay ones as well as the wiring. I dont think its worth the $150. All I heard was good reviews about morimotos. Am I missing something here?

I've had a DDM HID kit for the past 5-6years without any issues and it was $40. I think i'll just go back to them and save $110.
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Morimoto>DDM

The gizmos inside is what counts. i've had DDM kits before and they are garbage. wildly inaccurate bulb temps, ballasts wattage was not true, they buzzed loudly while they kicked on and it took them forever to get the bulbs up to operating temps. even then the bulbs looked dim compared to the mori kit. speaking of...my Morimoto 35w kit is BRIGHTER than any DDM 55w kit i've used. plus the 4.3k bulbs are actually 4.3k as advertised. most DDM kits will say one bulb color but output something very different cuz the ballasts and bulbs are cheap.

Sure, you'll save money now but when the kit fails prematurely and you have to get another or you realize that you're not getting all the lumens you should and you want something better you'll wish you stayed with Morimoto. It's a better investment. plus they have a killer warranty if purchased thru TRS, so if a connector breaks you're covered.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

p.s. all the "extra wiring" and stuff is so you don't fry your harness and send the E30 down in flames. not entirely necessary but good insurance.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

E30's already have relays fo the headlights, so adding a relay kit to them is redundant.

And I'm guess he more meant that there is a lot of extra length.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
          Morimoto>DDM

The gizmos inside is what counts. i've had DDM kits before and they are garbage. wildly inaccurate bulb temps, ballasts wattage was not true, they buzzed loudly while they kicked on and it took them forever to get the bulbs up to operating temps. even then the bulbs looked dim compared to the mori kit. speaking of...my Morimoto 35w kit is BRIGHTER than any DDM 55w kit i've used. plus the 4.3k bulbs are actually 4.3k as advertised. most DDM kits will say one bulb color but output something very different cuz the ballasts and bulbs are cheap.

Sure, you'll save money now but when the kit fails prematurely and you have to get another or you realize that you're not getting all the lumens you should and you want something better you'll wish you stayed with Morimoto. It's a better investment. plus they have a killer warranty if purchased thru TRS, so if a connector breaks you're covered.
          I agree with the reasons in bold above. the reason to buy a morimoto kit as opposed to a ddm kit is to get rid of any doubt the ddm kit gives the user.

if you were to look at it from a performance lighting perspective, you can trust the bulb temperature to be 4300k which provides the highest number of lumens (brightest output) from the morimoto kit. this cant be said for the ddm kit, because time and time again ddm kits have been proven to have incorrect, or not as advertised, bulb temperatures.

the main reason why people go with ddm is because the kit is cheap.

they just settle with whatever ddm gives them because either they dont know the difference, or they say why bother paying three times the price.

another thing to add about lighting upgrades is to have the correct light to install them in. using actual hid projectors but this is another story.

Comment

I'll second and third what everyone said. The relay wiring isn't really necessary, but a good insurance policy and makes for a reliable setup.

Comment

let me know if you have any issues with the kit post-install. I have the same morimoto kit, but have issues upon initial igniting.
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Don't buy DDM!!!!! They suck and have the worst customer service ever! I'll be posting about this later in the week.

Currently trying to get my money back for a defective kit they sold me. This is the 3rd kit I have from them and every one has had issues.

And yes their kits are cheap but they cost $20 to ship and it takes 15 days to get to your door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by 968Reckless; 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM.
                /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

just looking at the wiring and the harnesses, it doesnt look like $150 worth of premium quality materials. If you ever compare the $5 harnesses on ebay, its the exact same.

Its fine if what I'm paying for is the ballast but it shouldnt be x3-4 over what ddm sells.

Also I have a hard time believing the bulbs are that much different than what can be had at ddm or ebay. I have owned ddm kits without issues.

Unless there's proof that moritmoto kits are from different manufacturers than the ebay, ddm kits I dont think its worth the money. Also if you look at the online reviews for the retrofit source, you'll see that they have similar complaints against them as ddm...if you search hard enough.

Specialties: High Intensity Discharge (HID) or Xenon Headlight upgrades and replacement parts for every application Established in 2005. Was it being in the right place at the right time that got us here? Is it the "no let-downs allowed" attitude in our customer service? Maybe the parts just sell themselves? Whatever it is, it's amazing how much we've accomplished since opening up shop in 2005. The Retrofit Source currently collaborates with over 15 various manufacturers, all of the most professional retrofitting shops here in the US, and has served tens of thousands of individuals worldwide. We are proud to have a prominence in Canada, the Middle East, the UK and Australia. The Retrofit Source offers the absolute best when it comes to HID headlight retrofitting. We will make every customer happy without exception to uphold the reputation that we've worked so hard to build. Our goal was, still is, and always will be to supply our clients with the most appropriate and highest performing parts for their application at the best price.

Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review - Ripped off by TRS The retrofit source, Ended up Donating $170 to them. Avoid Morimoto - Long Story Short: November 14th 2013: Order Placed for Morimoto Elite Kit & XB35 Bulbs: Order Number: 64376 Detailed Invoice:...
                  Last edited by ///M42 sport; 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM.
                  Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                  http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

went cheap ballast + hid route before. sucked. went morimoto, over a year in, still no problems at all. worth 150.

Comment

I have been selling and installing HID kits for over 10yrs. Back then they cost over $1200/set wholesale, but were made in Japan, and were quality products. Even the first generations from China had Japanese internals, and cost about $300/set wholesale. The HID sets I sell now are randomly branded China units with warranty from a local 12V wholesaler, and they have been reliable. Having handled some morimoto sets, I would say they are par with what I deal with. Heavier the ballasts the better in my experience, YMMV.

$25-50 HID kits are garbage, I have DDM on my car and they work, but I also bought 3 other kits at the same time. I installed them on other friends cars, 2 of which broke within the first 6months. Both of those cars are DD, and my car e30 sees the road 4x a year. And no I didn't even try to deal with DDM.
                      Last edited by golde30; 04-25-2015, 03:44 AM.
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I'll just throw my 2 cents in as well, I purchased a morimoto kit for my car and a ddm kit for my mom's car. Supposedly they were the same specs yet my mom's car had much bluer lights and never got nearly as bright. They also buzzed extremely loud on start up. There was definitely a difference in the quality of the kits side by side. For 45 bucks though, yeah it works, but after seeing side by side I'm glad I went morimoto.

Originally posted by blunttech
                        Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Working...
                        X