Smiley Install - Mod Fusebox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smiley Install - Mod Fusebox?

In my research on installing Euro Smileys, I found 3 documents that were written by "xmon" that detail how to modify the fusebox with an additional Unloader Relay to allow for turning off the fog lights when the high beams are on, as well as connections to have the low beams stay on when trning the high beams on. There are some discrepancies between the 3 documents/revisions and I am not really sure which is more "correct".

I have 3 documents:

1. Feburary 14th, "Converting Sealed Beam Systems to Ellipsoid/European Style Headlight Systems Utilizing Single Filament Bulbs"

2. April 26, "Conversions Allowing for Independent Fog Light Operation in Sealed Beam and Ellipsoid Style Headlight Systems"

3. Sept 12th, "Converting Sealed Beam Systems to Ellipsoid/European Style Headlight Systems Utilizing Single Filament Bulbs"

It seems that each has different connections between the versions and I am a bit confused. I want to install my set of Smilies in place of the Sealed beam system there now and be able to use the fogs independently.

There is a discrepancy between connections from K9 pin 30 and pin 87. Which is the correct version that I should follow? I've marked the differences below.

Differences:

Feb 14 Version A - Headlight Conversion
    With the wiring OUT, do the following:
    1. Connect the .5mm Gray Wire you removed from the fog light relay socket to PIN 86 of K9.
    (You'll need to carefully pry the lock tab back out to get it to stay in place.)
    2. Make a new connection and connect Pin 30 of K9 to pin 87 of K8
    3. Make a new connection and connect pin 85 of K9 to pin 87a of K3
    4. Connect pin 87 of K9 to Pin 3 of C114 (.75mm brown)
    5. Connect pin 30 of K4 to C100 using 14 GAUGE wire and spade terminal
    (Gently loosen the Allen bolt going through the fuse box under K3/4)

April 26 - Independent Fog lights
    Create four or five new sections of wire that will allow for the following:
    1. Connect the .5mm Gray Wire you removed from the fog light relay socket to PIN 86 of K9.
    (Use a spade connector to keep the original wiring intact)
    2. Make a new 16 gauge wire connection and connect Pin 87 of K9 to pin 86 of K8
    3. Using 16 gauge wire, connect Pin 30 of K9 to Pin 4 of C114 (2.5mm green wire)
    4. Make a splice connection and connect Pin 85 of K9 to pin 87a of K3

IF YOU ARE ALSO INSTALLING SINGLE FILAMENT LOW BEAM LIGHTS
    4. Make a new connection and connect pin 85 of K9 to pin 87a of K3
    5. Connect pin 30 of K4 to C100 using 16 gauge wire and a spade or ring terminal
    (Gently loosen the Allen bolt going through the fuse box under K3/4)

Sept 12 - Rev B - Headlight Conversion
    6. Create five new sections of wire that will allow for the following:
    a. Connect the .5mm Gray Wire you removed from the fog light relay socket to PIN 86 of K9.
    (Use a spade connector to keep the original wiring intact)
    b. Make a new connection and connect pin 85 of K9 to pin 87a of K3
    c. Make a new connection and connect Pin 30 of K9 to pin 86 of K8
    d. Connect Pin 87 of K9 to Pin 31 of the Windshield Wiper Relay (1.5mm brown)
    e. Connect pin 30 of K4 to C100 using 14 gauge wire and a spade or ring terminal (Gently loosen the Allen bolt going through the fuse box under K3/4)

Links:
    Feb 14 - Converting Sealed Beam Systems to Ellipsoid/European Style Headlight Systems Utilizing Single Filament Bulbs

April 26 -Conversions Allowing for Independent Fog Light Operation in Sealed Beam and Ellipsoid Style Headlight Systems

Sept 12 - Converting Sealed Beam Systems to Ellipsoid/European Style Headlight Systems Utilizing Single Filament Bulbs
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

I came across this thread when researching sealed beam to ellipsoid headlight wiring. Since nobody responded, everyone else must be equally confused about X Mon's instructions. I'm good with wiring, but I agree the instructions are confusing, and to make matters worse there are different versions.

For example, in revision B it states, "Connect the .5mm Gray Wire you removed from the fog light relay socket to PIN 86 of K9.
    (Use a spade connector to keep the original wiring intact)." I don't know what the spade connector is for because it looks like it is instructing to simply move the pin from K8 to K9.

So I'm trying to decide how to tackle this wiring. I think most people just jump terminal 30 on K3 and K4 together to keep the low beams on with the high beams. So if that's the only goal then I think the step where it says to connect terminal 30 of K4 to the C100 B+ point is the only modification that needs to be done (moving the end of the wire that's at terminal 87a of K3). That's just like what JimmyC says on S14.net here. He points out that "a side effect of this is that the fog lights will stay on when you turn on the high beams (not legal)." I think that's what X Mon's complicated wiring instructions seek to solve, but there aren't really any driving conditions where you would want both of those on at the same time anyways. Unless you're one of those types who likes driving around with your fog lights on all the time, which isn't legal either. They're only legally allowed when driving conditions permit them (e.g. fog) and they're suppose to be turned off when approaching other cars just like high beams.
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 05-06-2022, 12:30 PM.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Reviving this again. I have a 1991 with ellipsoids installed by the prior owner. I’ve read the above (complicated) instruction sets. The wiring in my fuse box is so tight I’d need a crowbar to pull it out far enough to do the R9 addition- I’m concerned that I may damage something. There’s a paragraph in Rev B that says “in the ideal world” (bottom of page 3):
      • connect K3 87a to K8 86
      • connect K4 to C100
      • there’s an internal board trace between K4 87 and K8 86 which nixes this simple solution
      I’ve seen the K3/K4 jumper the pins together that’s a partial solution.

Has anyone lifted K8 pin 86 (isolated/cut off) and run a wire from K3 87a to an isolated K8 pin 86?

Comment

Working...
      X