Anyone do projector retrofits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do projector retrofits?

Does anyone on here do projector retrofits?

I'm more then capable of doing a retrofit myself, but I have so many things I need I need to get done on the E30, and only so much time.

If the price is right, I would be interested in someone building a retrofit setup for me.

These stock sealed beams are almost a safety hazard.

Like this?

Clicky click!

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 88BlackS-ETA View Post
      Like this?

Clicky click!
      Not quite.
      Those are adapters and require me to already have all of the other parts, or purchase them separately.

I was hoping for something that was bolt on ready (with some custom wiring required obviously)

Comment

You can run the late model (?) projectors on your car, you would need to change the harness plug out from the sealed beam to the projector plug.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 88BlackS-ETA View Post
          You can run the late model (?) projectors on your car, you would need to change the harness plug out from the sealed beam to the projector plug.
          Thank you, I am aware of this.
          I would have to buy a set of late model projectors which are both hard to come by, and expensive here in Canada.

Hoping someone who does retrofits would have a decent source of parts.

Comment

DinanM3ATL on here sells a Depo bi-xenon set-up. I tried to get some more details about what product he runs in the past, but don't recall ever getting the details back, maybe you will have luck. If it is a Morimoto Mini H1 set-up than I feel like his set-up is a good deal. - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=340586 He is asking $500 for the set-up, I did basically the same thing last year, but with new Hella units, and it ran me $900.

Daniel
            1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
            2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Originally posted by hankolerd View Post
              DinanM3ATL on here sells a Depo bi-xenon set-up. I tried to get some more details about what product he runs in the past, but don't recall ever getting the details back, maybe you will have luck. If it is a Morimoto Mini H1 set-up than I feel like his set-up is a good deal. - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=340586 He is asking $500 for the set-up, I did basically the same thing last year, but with new Hella units, and it ran me $900.
              Exactly the type of thing I am looking for. I sent him a PM. Thanks!

I imagine the quality difference with the DEPO lights doesn't matter as the optics are all being changed, and then the lenses properly sealed afterwords.

Comment

That would be my take as well. After doing the retrofit I have moisture in my low beams, going to be taking them back out this summer and try to dry and re-seal them again. I missed sealing one small hole, where the bi-xenon trigger wires go through the adapter (I used the Squared adapter by JT linked above), and I believe it was the source of my moisture.

If you do go for the bi-xenon swap, keep in mind that you may to modify your wiring slightly. If you opt for the LED high beams, the total draw should be low enough you won't have to modify your wiring. This is because when the high beams are turned on it actually powers all 4 lights with the sealed beams, 35W low beams and 50W high beams (the low beam circuit goes cold!). With a 35W HID (or even a 55W) low beam and ~20W LED, you would safely be under the stock 85W draw, which is backed by a 7.5A fuse. I am not sure what draw the H1 high beam has, but it will need to be 50W or less, otherwise you will pop the 7.5A fuse on the high beam circuit within seconds. I created a write-up (the "Lighting Guide" that is sticky'd in this sub-forum) to try to address these issues. It was definitely a learning process, but it is not too complicated, just takes a little time to understand how it works.
                Last edited by hankolerd; 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM.

Daniel
                1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

I'm not sure if this counts, but I was able to retrofit the e34 xenon headlights into my e30. Makes for an almost direct fit and looks perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by hankolerd View Post
                    ... I created a write-up (the "Lighting Guide" that is sticky'd in this sub-forum) to try to address these issues.
                    I read your write-up last night. Fantastic stuff!
                    When I first briefly looked at headlight options in 2014 there wasn't a solid source of consolidated information like you've created. Thank you for putting that effort in for the E30 community :)

No worries with the wiring issues. I may need to run my own wires and switches anyways to get the specific independent highbeam control I want. I'm thinking of using a Euro front+rear fog switch in combination with the stock light switch, to keep an OEM look.

I've got a Jeep TJ with 600w on the front of it, I wired the aux lights myself with 12ga. That was about 8 years ago now when I was still young and first learning about cars. I'm planning on redoing the loose relays and fuses into a weatherproof box. To my credit, the aftermarket HD harness I bought for the H4 headlight conversion (about 9 years ago) failed, while my custom stuff is still fine.

If I can find a set of used Elipsoids I'll do the conversion/retrofit myself, since with those Squared adapters, it's a relatively easy process.

I've got some custom unique stuff (at least I've never seen them in an E30) planned for both front and rear lighting, I'm planning on making write ups for them. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                      I'm not sure if this counts, but I was able to retrofit the e34 xenon headlights into my e30. Makes for an almost direct fit and looks perfect.
                      How did you do it?

Comment

Working...
                      X