Ellipsoid Headlights Not Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellipsoid Headlights Not Fitting

I went to a pick and pull and found a pair of ellipsoid headlights for cheap. I get them back home and try to install them on my 1987 and the plastic bracket on the headlights seems to be too big. When I try to fit them in, it gets stuck on either the valance tab or the radiator support.

I can either trim the plastic bracket in hopes to get it to fit but possibly weakening its structural integrity. Or modify the existing sealed beam metal bracket to fit the ellipsoid bulbs.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    2009 BMW 328i xDrive (Daily/winter drift king)
    1987 BMW 325i (Currently torn apart)
    Instgram: @Ebola.30

Do you have the right and left sides reversed, meaning the lights are upside down?

Comment

I do not. The screw holes wouldn’t line up if I have them upside down. Plus I marked them when I pulled them from the 88 vert at the junk yard. I’ll take some pics tonight and post them.

Comment

That would be helpful. Perhaps your car has been in an accident in the past?

No modification of the lights should be needed. Can you read the part number on the lamps and plastic bracket?

Comment

These 2 pics you can see where the holes are lining up but the top of the bracket is hitting the rad support

This pic you can see where the lower part of the bracket is hitting the valence tab.

Comment

Ive been under the car, everything looks straight. Whats weird is both headlights hit in the exact same place on both sides.

Comment

134-365-00-LI
              134-366-00-RE

Comment

You have the driver's side head light on the passenger side in this picture.

The projectors (low beams) are the outer most lamp. The reflectors (hi beams), are the inner most lamp.

The part numbers tell you which side should be which too. LI means left side if sitting inside of the car. RE, means right side if sitting inside of the car.

Comment

Oh for Christ’s sake. That’s embarrassing. I’m going to go bury my head in a hole now. Thanks dude.

Comment

Originally posted by MB07 View Post
                    Oh for Christ’s sake. That’s embarrassing. I’m going to go bury my head in a hole now. Thanks dude.
                    Aren't you glad we have R3v?
                    » PARTS FOR SALE
                    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by MB07 View Post

That's what I was trying to tell you earlier, I had thought you had swapped the right and left lights, and flipped them over to keep the projectors on the proper side.

I'm curious if you could have eventually made them fit though. Would be a rather unique mod!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                        Aren't you glad we have R3v?
                        Life saver.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                          That's what I was trying to tell you earlier, I had thought you had swapped the right and left lights, and flipped them over to keep the projectors on the proper side.

I'm curious if you could have eventually made them fit though. Would be a rather unique mod!
                          I actually had it all layed out in my head and everything on how to make them fit. Basically take the old steel brackets from the sealed beams, lay out your holes where the headlights are supposed to bolt up and fab out some adjusting rods to hold them in place. It actually would have been pretty simple. I might go back to the junk yard and find another get set of headlights off of a 5 series or a 7 series and see if I can make it work.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X