Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late fog light gasket install trick?

Hey gang,
    I just installed new glass on my fog lights, and I'm having a hell of a time getting the rubber gasket to fit right in the valance. It's super tight, and when I try to push it into the gap to make the glass & gasket flush with the valence, it pops thru and just looks terrible.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried to put the gasket on the fog light before and after mounting it in the valance. Neither method works well. Even tried reusing the original gasket to check for a better fit.

Thanks for the help!
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Clean both surfaces with alcohol and use silicone II that bonds rubber with glass (same one used in kitchen and bath) . I tried several different glues and the above one worked best. You should not have to press the gasket into the gap between valance and fog light.
    » PARTS FOR SALE
    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

I will give that a try, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

where did you get your glass? I just got some ebay glass from Russia and the two spots for the rubber grommets and screw head access are filled, not sure what to do about it

Comment

I bought those same lenses. They do have the two holes though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

This just ain't working out. Is this gasket all that important anyway?Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_095239.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	7197926

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Comment

,,, mine are filled too,,,:-?

Comment

I know this is old, but I’m having the same issue. Replacement set was from Amazon with glass lenses from Russia via r3v. Did anyone else come across this problem? OP, did you ever figure it out or leave it as is?

Comment

Never did figure it out. Just went w/o the gasket. Mine was BMW branded from the dealer, and it still didn't fit right. If I get back around to it, I may try a heat gun to make it more flexible.

Comment

Between bent mounting points/other bends in the valence, distorted plastics/rubber in both the duct/fog/gasket, and insufficient adjustment it's almost impossible to get the fog to fit and be aimed sensibly.

Your install looks fine if the aim isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                      Never did figure it out. Just went w/o the gasket. Mine was BMW branded from the dealer, and it still didn't fit right. If I get back around to it, I may try a heat gun to make it more flexible.
                      Thanks for the reply, I'll let the car win this fight and leave out the gasket.

Comment

Working...
                      X