Smoked taillight Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked taillight Question??

I am going to smoke them myself. The question is, should I cover the amber part of the lens with red first? Then spray the tint? Or do you guys just spray the tint on straight with no prep? Thanks. Bobby

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Do you want a smoked red tail or a smoked tail w/an amber signal?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
      I guess that is kinda why I was asking. I am not sure. I think i would like a solid smoked look better but am not sure about functional issues. Does covering the amber with red create any safety issues? That may be a silly question but I just am not sure about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rcwells
        I guess that is kinda why I was asking. I am not sure. I think i would like a solid smoked look better but am not sure about functional issues. Does covering the amber with red create any safety issues? That may be a silly question but I just am not sure about it.
        Nope. Red turn signals are perfectly legal on the rear in the US. The visibility isn't reduced at all if you paint them correctly.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Depending on what type of paint you use, the red signals could be less glossy because of the paint. This happened when I painted mine red before the tint. So i decided to just smoke the amber the second time.

matt

Comment

Originally posted by matt325is
            Depending on what type of paint you use, the red signals could be less glossy because of the paint. This happened when I painted mine red before the tint. So i decided to just smoke the amber the second time.

matt
            So, what kind of paint would you suggest? Or is your suggestion just to smoke 'em amber?

Comment

Nope. Red turn signals are perfectly legal on the rear in the US. The visibility isn't reduced at all if you paint them correctly.
              go to the DMV and see if they say painting your taillights is legal, its not.

Comment

So, what kind of paint would you suggest? Or is your suggestion just to smoke 'em amber?
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe
                  Chances are when the DMV says painting your taillights is illegal, they're thinking of completely opaque paint, actually "painting" your taillights.

What I'm referring to is tinting the taillights a different color. How do you think they could sell cars w/no amber signal in the back and get away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is

I forget the paint code, but it's Testors metallic red... do a search for it, you'll most likely find it.

Comment

Testors Candy Apple Red is a better match then the Metallic one.

and IMO buy real smoked tailights, in the end the tint sprayed smoked ones look halfass, and they will oxidize and look horrid.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by e304lyfe
                        Chances are when the DMV says painting your taillights is illegal, they're thinking of completely opaque paint, actually "painting" your taillights.

What I'm referring to is tinting the taillights a different color. How do you think they could sell cars w/no amber signal in the back and get away with it?
                        i am not saying red taillights are illegal. i am saying painting your taillights is illegal.

cars that have all red taillights come from the **factory** with lights that are tested to meet DMV standards. your paint hasn't met any such standards, and is **illegal**.

whether anyone will notice the difference or not is a different story, but don't go around thinking its 100% kosher to paint your taillights.

don't get me wrong, i'm no legal freak, and could care less about this. all i'm saying is your statements make one believe that it is ok to paint your taillights, when its really not legal.

Comment

oh please, the crummy DOT "standards" are so low do you really think anyone will care, if they notice at all? :roll:
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Seriously. :wgaf:

Comment

Seriously. :wgaf:
                              I am not really concerned with the legality as much as the appearance. Should I paint the amber red and then tint or leave it amber and spray? THAT is the question.

Yeah, Jordan, I would rather buy them already done, but I figure it's worth a shot doing it myself for several reasons. Cheaper, the fun of it, and what do I have to lose? I know I want them smoked, so if I screw this up, then I will HAVE to buy the "real deal". If NOT, then, hey, I just saved at least a hundred bucks plus. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X