Depo smoked turn signals - Improved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depo smoked turn signals - Improved!

I know most people say Depo stuff is complete crap, but Curt (E30groupie) has these on his car, and they actually look really good. So I bought a set, and actually ended up finding a way to make them look even better, it was quite simple.

Here they are as they come. Upon first inspection, pretty cool! The smoked lenses are crystal smoked, very cool looking, and actually very thick and tough, way thicker than stock lenses, and they come with brand new amber bulbs. The housings are as expected, pretty chincy, and the reflective background looks like a disco ball:

So, here's the Depo housing (on the left) next to a stock E30 housing (on the right). See the difference in the reflective backer?

So here's what I did. I took the lenses off of the Depo housings and put them on the stock E30 housings. And that made all the difference in the world. Depo on the left, OEM on the right.

The reflective backing on the stock E30 housing is WAY less shiny, and doesn't have all those creased angles in it, getting rid of the disco ball look, especially with the lenses mounted. The creases in the backing make the lense look like it's segmented into little cubes, which I don't like. And since they're less reflective, they made the smoked lenses WAY darker. So for $25, I got smoked crystal lenses, and new amber bulbs (2 birds with one stone), and they end up looking better than I thought they would in the end. I know the crytal style lenses aren't for everyone, but I wanted something different than the stock style lenses. Tell me what you think!
    Last edited by Jand3rson; 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM.

looks awsome but why are there 2 bulbs in the depo?
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
      looks awsome but why are there 2 bulbs in the depo?
      That, I'm not sure of. I was wondering that myself. I bet one is probably for the actual turn signal, and maybe one is just for the running lights.

Comment

I like... I got a euro bumper and i havent got it yet. Does anybody make a smoked lense for a euro bumper or is it a reguler lense.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
          That, I'm not sure of. I was wondering that myself. I bet one is probably for the actual turn signal, and maybe one is just for the running lights.

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
          1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
          1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

Take a moment to read before you post, and you'll see the answer to your first question right above ya. :up:

I'm not sure which turn signals the euro bumpers use, though.

Comment

I like where this is going. From the pics it looks pretty awesome. like sleek. I appreciate things that are original.

Mariano

Comment

euro chromies are the early US ones, I believe

Comment

Originally posted by CleanAzzE30z View Post
                  euro chromies are the early US ones, I believe
                  That's what I thought, so that would also make them the same as M3 lenses.

Turner Motorsport carries smoked M3/diving board lenses, as does Abrahams.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed View Post
                    That's what I thought, so that would also make them the same as M3 lenses.

Turner Motorsport carries smoked M3/diving board lenses, as does Abrahams.

Thanks, i dealed with Abrahams before and they where very good to deal with.

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                      Thanks, i dealed with Abrahams before and they where very good to deal with.
                      that almost goes without saying.

Mariano

Comment

the smaller bulb is ricer's flasher bulb location. ...you know...

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
                          the smaller bulb is ricer's flasher bulb location. ...you know...
                          More reason not to use the Depo housings. :D

Comment

Oooooo Whey batter! :)
                            '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

whats the "flasher ricer" thing?

Mariano

Comment

Working...
                              X