No announcement yet.

LED Third Brake Light (Homemade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was literally just looking at the Hella LED ones available through Daniel Stern's website. They look much more clean than a DIY job.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
    Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

I like the DIY aspect though, and could use some better electrical skills. So learning how to do this would be good for me. Bumpity bump bump

Comment

Wow... been a long time since I've checked out this thread. Here is my response to phillye30fanboy if anyone else is interested... this is an easy DIY and looks even better with today's wide angle LED's with uber brightness.

1. cut a circuit board the size of the inside of the housing so it will fit.

2. solder the LED's in strings with or without resistors depending on the ratings of the LEDs. Try to keep the current voltage to about 90% capacity or less. This will give the LEDs a long life. Example: if you have LEDs with a voltage handling of 3 volts, you can string 4 of them together in series for a total handling of 12 volts. The car while running operates between 12 and 13.4 volts so you would need a resistor to dissipate the last 1.4 volts. If you string 5 of them in series you wouldn't need a resistor because they would have a handling of 15 volts. Since the car can't provide that each LED gets (13.4V/5 LEDs) 2.68 volts. This is almost 90% capacity for each LED. They would not light up with 100% brightness but would still be very visible and would last forever.

3. Wire the board you made to the supply wires for the third brake light and voila you are done. As an addition you can jump the resistor on the third brake light circuit board so that the OBC doesn't constantly tell you that your brake lights are out.

Hope that makes sense. I know this isn't a DIY, but if you do some reading you'll be ok with the guidance given. I was a complete noob when I did the mod but now have built complete tail lights and all kinds of cool stuff.
        "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
        -----------------------------------------
        91 318is Turbo Sold
        87 325 Daily driver Sold
        06 4.8is X5
        06 Mtec X3
        05 4.4i X5 Sold
        92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
        90 325i Sold
        97 328is Sold
        01 323ci Sold
        92 325i Sold
        83 528e Totaled
        98 328i Sold
        93 325i Sold

Comment

If you guys want a schematic of this, let me know and I can generate it.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
          X