headlight lens w/o fluting (ribs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight lens w/o fluting (ribs)

do they exist? i'd like a flat lens for my US and euro ellipsoids.

there were some on ebay for a while
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah they sell them on eBay they are called cystal clear lenses. They look hiduous but whatever floats your boat.

E30_Fiend
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
        Yeah they sell them on eBay they are called cystal clear lenses. They look hiduous but whatever floats your boat.

E30_Fiend
        don't worry, there's a reason and it's more functional than aesthetic. the ribs disperse the light in a way so that it goes in directions other than just to the ground in front of you. you may have the most focused projector but putting this lens in front of it will still scatter the light in a way that i don't want it to. it's OK to have the ribs when you're using halogen but it's not that great when you have HID output getting scattered. i've already checked how different it would be w/o the lens and w/ the lens. the difference is not great, but it is noticeable. w/ the lens off, the cutoff from my US ellips were much sharper than w/ the lens. once i put the lens in front of it, there was a noticeable scattering of light. i understand that it helps to scatter the light to make it easier to see street signs and such, but it'll annoy driver's in front of me as well.

Comment

lets see some pics. yeah I saw some on ebay.
          Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
            lets see some pics. yeah I saw some on ebay.

will do, as soon as i find the replacement lenses i want. if you notice, on most current cars w/ xenon projectors, they have a clear lens, no flutes.

i can't find them on ebay. i searched for "bmw lens" under the headlight category.

Comment

you can have pretty much any glass lens ground smooth so you don't have to switch them out, unless the flutes are on the inside of course.

find someone local who does glass poilshing/refinishing.
              turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
              Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

have you seen your headlights up close brew?.. unless the flutes are on the inside...

i dont think you will get any noticeable difference in light output from such a trivial thing, the projector lens is so close to the protective glass lens that the scattering from the flutes is negligable
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I noticed the exact same thing when I removed the lenses off a my new $15 ellipsoids. The cut off becomes much sharper with less light scatter above horizontal. I have some unfluted lenses here I'm going to try to use. I'll post some comparison pics soon.

Comment

I did a quick and dirty comparison tonight with a E32 9006 bulb DOT projector I picked up at the JY for $10.

The victim

Removed the lens

The original Hella lens had very fine fluting in the middle to help disperse light upward to illuminate overhead lights. This is the the main difference between a DOT projector and E-code projector.

I temporarily fitted a clear lens from a 5.75" Autopal free form reflector.

For comparison, I connected a short pigtail to the battery in my trunk using the same 9006 bulb and projector while swapping lenses.

Original Hella DOT fluted lens.

Clear Autopal lens.

The headlight is about 2 feet from the target and camera is at a similar distance. To the naked eye the difference is dramatic. Not only is the glare above the cut off completely gone with the clear lens but the light below the line is brighter. I'm sure some of the difference is due to the old pitted lens but the fluting was put there to to comply with the DOT over head sign rule. I think with 9005 or HID bulbs the difference would be even more dramatic.

cheers
                    Justin

Comment

light output looks good but the light itself looks weird. Maybe if they were smoked.
                      harry/harout

Comment

No, the projector was completely stock except for the lens swap. Its the distance from the target that makes the pattern look weird and you get the rainbow effect around the cut off. The step in the cut off becomes more defined as you increase the distance from the projector to the target. Here the distance was just 2 feet in order to take the picture work in my trunk.

Comment

hes saying the the actual unit looks strange with the clear lens, and maybe it would look better if it were smoked

Originally posted by TimKninja
                          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                            hes saying the the actual unit looks strange with the clear lens, and maybe it would look better if it were smoked
                            Doh. I must be tired.

Comment

:giggle:
                              harry/harout

Comment

Working...
                              X