FX35 Bixenon Retro into US Ellips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this thread awhile ago, plan on doing an FX35 retro "sometime."

Since we're all whoring up our old retros, I'll bite.
    TL bixenons and glass lenses into my old maxima:

Loved those things.

Comment

How are the lights working out?

Comment

Haven't checked this thread in awhile!

Lights are working out great so far, although I've probably driven the E30 about 100 miles in the past 6 months. I plan on cleaning up my 'glassing work in the future, or at least I will paint it to blend in more. However, with the stock covers on, you can't even see the lights.

Doing a TSX retro would probably be a little easier and involve a little less cutting. I would probably have gone that route if I didn't have the FX projectors lying around from my E36 retro. I will probably put the high beams back in and lose the "city lights." That way I can have quad high beams. Not sure if I will do that though.
        -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

i have been thinkin of doing this for awhile now an just ran across this thread...thinkin about goin to the junk yard and pickin up a spare set of us elips for the project
          "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

Looking up ideas...I've got a paid of E55 bixenon's laying around. Wondering if anyone has tried stuffing those into an E30 housing?

Comment

Originally posted by cabin View Post
              Haven't checked this thread in awhile!

Lights are working out great so far, although I've probably driven the E30 about 100 miles in the past 6 months. I plan on cleaning up my 'glassing work in the future, or at least I will paint it to blend in more. However, with the stock covers on, you can't even see the lights.

Doing a TSX retro would probably be a little easier and involve a little less cutting. I would probably have gone that route if I didn't have the FX projectors lying around from my E36 retro. I will probably put the high beams back in and lose the "city lights." That way I can have quad high beams. Not sure if I will do that though.
              Right now you've got your high beam signal going straight to the solenoids and also through a diode to the 85 terminal on the relay supplying your ballasts, right? What I would do if I were you is have another relay in series with your ballasts triggered by the parking lights. Then, hook your high beams up to your physical high beams as well as everything else they're hooked up to.

So, when you pull the stalk back to flash someone when your lights are off, just your inner lights come on since your parking lights won't be on. But when your lights are on and you flash the brights, both the inner lights and the bixenons activate.

Comment

Something you may consider is getting a pair of early euro BOSCH headlight lenses, smiley or non, same thing.

They lack the ribs cast into the glass around the projector that diffuse the otherwise razor sharp cutoff.

Comment

Originally posted by E30FTW View Post
                  Something you may consider is getting a pair of early euro BOSCH headlight lenses, smiley or non, same thing.

They lack the ribs cast into the glass around the projector that diffuse the otherwise razor sharp cutoff.
                  I am just bumping this to confirm that this works.

:)

Comment

I'd love that.
                    Good going.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

absolutely love the way those came out... ;)

Comment

Drool. Thats fucking amazing. I can't wait to do this myself.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Awesome! I wish I could just get the glass for mine. That cutoff looks perfect.
                          -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

Working...
                          X