HIDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIDs

So Im getting euro ellips, and I will be needing to buy some new bulbs. Instead of spending money on Osram Silverstars, i thought I'd get some HIDs instead.

Im thinking 4300-5000k. Can you guys recommend me a reasonably priced set that will work for the application, and also where to buy it?
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Search man.

Last week I remember replying to a thread in which I was given a quote for a $350 set from Inspar8r

Originally posted by C ///M
    I asked Nick yesterday what he wanted to do.

For R3v members, he's willing to do:

$350 -normal cost per kit (2 bulbs, 2 ballasts)
    GB's:
    $340 -5 people
    $325 -10 people
    Prices plus shipping from Chicago.

The kits are the best quality and absolute best on the market, made by Acumen. To give you guys an idea on this pricing, Misterjung's kits are $400 and they have had numerous problems. Misterjung advertises Hella as the best Ballast Manufacturer. Hella is NOT the best ballast on the market, Acumen's is.
    The Acumen Ballast has an operating range that dwarfs Hella's, a more powerful power source with start-up reaching 23,000 Volts, Flickerless Warmup, smaller easier to place and perfectly constructed ballast, and is more efficient. And of course all bulbs are perfect plug'n'play into the housing with the HID capsule placed exactly where you're existing halogen filament used to be for exact beam pattern. I'll be happy to email a powerpoint presentation on Acumen and their HID kits to whomever is interested.

Comment

ebay is your friend... If you want the brightest possible, go for 5300k

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
      On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
      BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Originally posted by Addissimo
        ebay is your friend... If you want the brightest possible, go for 5300k
        I would never suggest ebay for HID kits

Comment

I saw a 4300 set for $200 last week with all the proper setup but don't you need to have the bulb the proper distance from the reflector?

https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

4300k is brighter than 5300k....
            BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3
              I saw a 4300 set for $200 last week with all the proper setup but don't you need to have the bulb the proper distance from the reflector?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7922789678
              Yes, at BMW DIY, he said that he needs to move the blubs back to get the best reflection possible from HID.
              The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                4300k is brighter than 5300k....
                no... it isnt... after doing about 3 minutes of research to make sure i was right... we're both wrong.. they're the same (the kits i've been looking at) at 3200 lumens.

There is nothing wrong with ebay, just make sure its a reputable buyer with decent feedback. It seems like everybody selling the 4300k kits are selling higher quality stuff, mainly because its all oem stuff. I wouldnt go for the stuff the 6000k ricers are selling. Who knows where they make that shit.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Well actually it is. Although one complication is everyone seems to use a different scale for meauring color temps.

Also if you got this info from a Physics book they almost always use the blackbody curve of Helium as an example. Its emmission peaks at a different temperature than Mercury. Also HID kits get thier color from another aspect, the content of the Xenon halide. Most factory kits use a higher content because it increases pressure very quickly heating the main element so it makes light faster. Xenon peaks closer to UV (actaully on the borderline) so that is where the purple comes from.

Just find a good aftermarket kit. They use a D2S bulb rebased to fit whatever lense you have. I.e. mine are based in H1 fitament. I HAD the Mr Jung kit which worked very well but then changed to the Polarion kit which is more money but the bulb basings were solid where Mr Jung used plaster to hold the bulb.

I also changed to 4300. It is a HELL of a lot brighter than the 6000k kit I had. It actually is as bright as the factory HID in the 330 which is a big thing because those are held at 15 degrees so the light isnt having to shine out the end of the bulb like it is on the ellips.
                  Im now E30less.
                  sigpic

Comment

there's a book around here (the chem dept floor) that has emission spectra (K) for xenon halides at varying voltages plotted against their light output in candellas (easily converted to lumens, but for comparison purposes is irrelevant).

4300K light has a higher output in lumens than 5300K at the same voltage, for Xe.

that is all. you may return to your seats.
                    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

does anyone know the color temp of current factory bmw HID's?

Comment

the local rice store guy is selling brand new H1 Osram Xenon HID Kit for $500 canadian.
                        "A real set of HID's complete with ballasts, wires, bulbs, instructions, etc."

However, the only option is 6000k or 8000k.

I dont want my lights to be blue, but 500 is pretty cheap.
                        ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Why not grab Inspar8r's set? C///M can probably vouch for him.

Comment

Originally posted by spencers
                            who is inspar8r?

Well the main reason i want to buy them here is because i hate dealing with shipping.
                            ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
                              Originally posted by spencers
                              who is inspar8r?

Well the main reason i want to buy them here is because i hate dealing with shipping.
                              Not sure if he's still on this board. Ask C ///M (chris) about him (Nick).

Shipping really shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X