Backup light blowing fuse 10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup light blowing fuse 10.

Looking for some help on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Whenever I shift into reserve (5 speed manual) I blow fuse 10.

If I remove the right taillight fixture, or even just the remove the right backup bulb, the fuse does not blow. As soon as I replace the bulb, the fuse blows instantly.

Does this mean the problem lies in one of the 2 wires I've highlighted in the attached wiring diagram? (The right backup light wire or it's ground).

I've taken out some trunk trim & the back seat exposing a lot of wiring. I keep expecting to find some damaged, cut or scraped wiring, but I'm not seeing anything like that.

I've cleaned up ground G300 under the backseat, even though it looked great, and I've located both splices (S241 & S324) in the backup wiring.

What are my next steps to troubleshoot what I assume is a short?

Thanks!

sod

Sounds to me like the right side bulb socket is shorting when a bulb is installed. Take it apart and inspect what's happening. Make sure the right type of bulb is used, it's seated correctly and making proper contact.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

means you got a problem at the right side reverse bulb. either the bulb is shorted internally (take the left side and put it in and see how it goes), or the socket is shorted.

Comment

Thanks guys, I swapped the right & left backup bulbs & the problem follows the bulb.

I'll be picking up a pair of new bulbs today & we'll see if that resolves this issue.

Thanks again & have a great weekend!

Comment

New bulbs resolved the issue.

Lesson learned...check the easy stuff first.

Thanks again!

sod

Comment

Working...
          X