Quick HID question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick HID question

Whats the deal with high beams when it comes to HID??? Can you switch the highs to HID too? Also w/ my standard Ellipsoids the lows double as low and high beam patterens, is this effected whenyou convert the lows to HID????

PS: I think it would be greatt to have FAQ artical on HID's (including kits that are garbage, Good kits, maybe even a "hook up" artical) Just an idea ;)
    sigpic
    Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
    00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
    92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
    91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
    91' e34 525iA=For parts
    92' e34 535iA=For parts

Having ellipsoids, the HID's will effectively replace your current bulbs, meaning this:

When your lowbeams are turned on, the HIDs will ignite and then stay illuminated until the lowbeams are turned off.
    Since your lowbeams currently remain on with your highbeams, the HIDs will do the same, and will stay lit with your highbeams. This will cause a mix of halogen and xenon light on the road in front of you.

If you wish to convert your highbeams to HID too, it is possible, but rarely done because HIDs, like fluorescent lamps, require a ballast to ignite them, and then take about 4-5 seconds before reaching operating output. As such, you will lose the functionality of being able to flash your lights on and off for brief periods of time (say, <20 seconds) and have them be very effective. It also isn't the greatest for the longevity of the ballast and bulb. For this reason, "bixenon" headlight systems (HID low and highbeams) in present-day cars use a motor inside that moves the actual HID bulb in the projector housing, altering the beam's pattern down the road.

As far as a FAQ, I went into some detail about HID in the general lighting FAQ if you desire any more information.
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

HID in your highbeams is a waste IMO.. with HID in your lowbeams, you'll probably never need them anyway! I'd stick some osram silverstars in the highs, they're bright as hell anyway. even with just orsrams in my lowbeams I never find the need to use my highs (and I drive mostly at night), so I just left standard 55w hallogens in them and kept my second pair of osrams as spares..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

With HID lows all highbeams are good for is flashing people.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X