No announcement yet.

High-amp Alternator Upgrade on E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, yeah happy new year! Keep us posted.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Welp, nothing new lately.

I put up some ads for the E60 alt, no takers so far.
      Was also busy working on the AC and the electric fan started making noises, fixed that thankfully.

Last night I was just thinking you know this alt looks fairly simple and standard apart from the regulator. I mean it looks exactly like the E46 one.
      I mean when I was looking inside, it was just a simple coil and rotor with a diode on the back, nothing "smart" or fancy in there.
      Not to mention that on summit's website they're in the same listing.

I was thinking, you know if I buy a used E46 alt, I'm probably going to get a new regulator anyway and maybe check the bearings and all that.

So what if, the E46 and E60 use the same alt, it's just controlled differently via a different regulator? and the E60 type uses that BSD protocol to communicate?

I was thinking maybe I can just buy an E46 regulator, or maybe get my hands on one before buying, and test it out with the multimeter for continuity.
      I'm looking for a something that's connected to the other brush to make sure it has ground, and I guess I'm looking for something to ground the power from the dash light.

Like, what do I have to lose? Worst case scenario I've "pre-bought" a new regulator for an alt I was going to get anyway.
      And I'm stuck with this E60 alt.

I'm gonna look for that regulator.

Comment

Interesting idea. Definitely worth a shot.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
        X