Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge light: SOLVED

1985 325e

For a few months I’ve been dissecting wire diagram after diagram trying to figure out why my charge light still doesn’t work. I replaced both alternator and battery. Still no luck, even changed the SI board just to make sure and nothing. Tested all connections and grounds leading to the cluster and everything check out as far as voltage and continuity. Noticed that the charge light gets power from the C1 connector at pins 14 and 16. Pin 14 coming from the green wire from the ignition switch and pin 16 coming from the D+ blue wire from the alternator. Turn the key and nothing work on the dash besides the oil light and my turn signals and high beam warning light. Car does turn over and start but won’t charge the battery. Any ideas?? Help is much appreciated

edit: problem solved on 11/24
    blue charge wire from D+ on harness side was severed and wasn’t properly spliced together.
    Last edited by 3seriersD; 11-24-2022, 03:20 PM.
    '86 Zinnoberrot 325

Assuming you have the original 85 cluster without the bypass resistor, take a look at the bulb and trace. If the trace isn't making good contact the bulb won't illuminate and therefore won't charge the battery on early cars. What I did was reflowed all the joints and traces on the cluster PCB including the charging bulb socket. I also used a new bulb.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Assuming you have the original 85 cluster without the bypass resistor, take a look at the bulb and trace. If the trace isn't making good contact the bulb won't illuminate and therefore won't charge the battery on early cars. What I did was reflowed all the joints and traces on the cluster PCB including the charging bulb socket. I also used a new bulb.
      yes it’s the original cluster without the bypass resistor. I put in all new bulbs and even sent the cluster out to ProgRama for bench testing. Came back good.

'86 Zinnoberrot 325

Comment

Working...
      X