Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very faint sound from speakers, no power to stock amp -- where should I be looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very faint sound from speakers, no power to stock amp -- where should I be looking?

UPDATE: As it would turn out, the replacement amp that I'd bought is as broken as the one that was already in the car! Though it still seems to be a good general-knowledge thing to be able to diagnose a lack of power to the amp, this is no longer a concern on my end -- taking a second look with the test light verified that power was making it there (d'oh!). Thanks for looking!

Hey there, I hope you're all doing well.

The stock speaker system on my '91 325i vert is no longer working, though the radio receives power. Having the volume as loud as it will go, I can hear the faintest of audio coming from the speakers in the car. I've been troubleshooting this, and have found that with a different amplifier, the issue persists. Using a test light on the red and white wires on the amplifier connector indicates that no power is making it to either of these, so it seems like the amp itself isn't the issue -- if I had to guess, the issue is that the amp isn't getting power. I've pulled the head unit so I can take any suggestions on what to do from here -- I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at, but I've found that there is one loose connector coming from the back of the headunit with a blue wire and a beige wire, both with a brown stripe, coming from the back of the headunit -- I haven't been able to find anything that this could plug into. Also, if this adds anything, there is a separate beige wire that isn't connected to anything, and this seems to originate from the wiring harness further back. I've attached a picture for clarity. If it adds anything, power to the antenna seems to work just fine.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	radio.png Views:	0 Size:	197.8 KB ID:	10101600

In case this post didn't make it very clear, I am by no means experienced with electrical wiring. I'd really just like to get this squared away without having to toss a new headunit/speaker system into the car if that's possible, and I would greatly appreciate any tips you have to offer. Thanks!
    Last edited by cajon; 08-12-2023, 09:19 PM.

cajon give me a shout. happy to assist bradnic@oemhifi.com or just go to https://oemhifi.com
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
    X