Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing off the trunk setup, finally. (new pics added)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by royalflush313
    Originally posted by Kruzen
    how are you getting 300w to all 4? is that a 300/4 @ 4ohms amp?

I ask because my PPI 600.4 does 75x4 @ 4 ohms and 150x4 @ 2ohms.
    75W RMS x 4 @ 1.5ohm - 4ohm
    Interesting, I don't think i've seen any amps that will output the same wattage across the entire range of impedence
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Hense why JL's slash series amps are just so badass :)

R.I.P.S. System™

R.I.P.S. stands for "Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply" and is a central feature of JL Audio's “Slash” series amplifiers. The remarkable R.I.P.S. System™ ensures consistent power delivery over a wide range of battery voltages and load impedances.

"Regulated" means that the power supply adjusts its operation so as to maintain the amplifier's rated power output over a wide range of vehicle voltages (11V-14.5 V). Conventional, unregulated power supplies result in significant power losses as battery voltage decreases. With a JL Audio “Slash” series amplifier, the power output remains consistent in real-world systems, resulting in superior fidelity and stability.

The "Intelligent" portion of the R.I.P.S. System is a circuit that actually monitors output current to optimize the amplifier's output power over a wide range of load impedances (1.5 ohm-4 ohm per channel). Conventional amplifiers are designed to produce optimum power at a particular impedance (2 ohm, for example). When asked to run above that impedance (say, 4 ohm), these amplifiers lose power (half their power from 2 ohm to 4 ohm). This will not happen with a JL Audio “Slash” series amplifier because the R.I.P.S. System detects the actual impedance being driven and adjusts output rail voltages to deliver optimum output. The entire process is seamless, automatic, and results in incredible dynamics for satellite channels and consistent power output for a wide range of subwoofer configurations. It also takes into account the real impedance of the system, rather than relying on often inaccurate assumptions based on a speaker's "nominal impedance".

The bottom line of the R.I.P.S. system is: Optimum power, at any impedance between 1.5 ohm and 4 ohm per channel, at any vehicle voltage between 11V and 14.5V.

Patented Class D Circuitry
      (U.S. Patent #6,441,685)

Our Patented Class D amplifier circuit represents a huge breakthrough in sub-bass fidelity, due to its extremely high damping factor.

JL Audio Class D subwoofer amplifiers, and the subwoofer channel of the 500/5 system amplifier, utilize a new Class D circuit which represents a significant advance in subwoofer amplifier design. While Class D amplifiers are well known for outstanding efficiency, they have also been known for less than spectacular sound quality due to weak damping of the driven load. Damping factor is critical to subwoofer amplifier performance as it provides the necessary force to control the high moving mass of subwoofers. Poor damping can result in degraded transient response (sloppy sounding bass) and irregular frequency response.

JL Audio's Patented Class D output circuit utilizes a discrete control section and a unique feedback loop design that results in a damping factor greater than 500 at 4 ohms (>250 at 2 ohms). This is vastly higher than other Class D designs and also higher than most Class AB amplifiers. The benefit of this exclusive JL Audio technology is tight, clean bass reproduction with the efficiency advantage of Class D.

It is a package tailor-made for serious bass performance.

Patented Absolute Symmetry™ AB Circuitry (U.S. Patent #6,294,959)

JL Audio full-range amplifiers benefit from an exciting new technology: Absolute Symmetry™. This patented Class AB output stage delivers amazing fidelity with extremely low distortion over a wide range of load impedances.

Until now, the accepted approach for building high-fidelity Class AB amplifiers has been to utilize "Complementary" output stages, which use different types of transistors to "push" the speaker and "pull' the speaker. The problem with this approach is that true "mirror-image" transistors are impossible to create, leading to asymmetrical clipping behavior.

Another approach is to use the same type of transistor for both push and pull but without buffering from the load impedance. This solves the problem of asymmetrical clipping, but leads to huge increases in distortion as load impedance drops (making this design less desirable than the "complementary" approach.)

JL Audio amplifiers solve the entire issue once and for all with a revolutionary Class AB circuit that employs identical type transistors for push and pull with true buffering from the load impedance. Our design achieves absolute power symmetry and extremely low distortion over a wide range of load impedances. It is the most significant breakthrough in Class AB circuit design in quite some time and it is patented by JL Audio.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Interesting, very cool technology.
        Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
        Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Got bored this morning and finished off my diagram as well :)

Why do the RCA's go to your monoblock, and then from monoblock to 4-channel? Also, how do you seperate the signal for the tweeter from the rest. Do you have the crossover before the amp?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

The deck only has a single set of pre-amp outputs. The amp has an RCA pass-through. The 4-channel has a built in active crossover for the tweeters.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
              Why do the RCA's go to your monoblock, and then from monoblock to 4-channel? Also, how do you seperate the signal for the tweeter from the rest. Do you have the crossover before the amp?
              What Ken said, plus this huge picture.

Comment

jesus harold christ those amps are NICE.
                I retired my E30 for now...
                E46 323i
                David Schultz

Comment

What are you using for speaker wire?

Comment

16ga virgin copper. to the front speakers, 10ga to the sub.

Comment

nnice setup.

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
                        Do you have any final pics of the box without the false panel, and the rear deck?
                        I now have the above mentioned pics. Here:

Replaced the 8ga power cables with 4ga, and replaced the long 8ga run of ground wire, with a 4ga 6in long run.

Port exit up into the rear deck.

Painted the aeroport flat black.

Only major things left at this point is to get a new headunit, and to run 3 pair of nice RCA's from the headunit to the amps. The RCA's I have right now work fine, but aren't very good.

Comment

so you fabbed up the rear deck and got rid of the brake light in the rear window? And... how did you get the rear deck to stay well and not rattle or move? I dont see any bolts or anything. I'm just curious :)

Will
                          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                          DaveCN = Old Man
                          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

The rear deck is just form fitting. It has 1 stock pop snap in the middle to hold it down. The stock tabs on the rear, and tyhe seatbelt covers hold the rest down.

Comment

looking good as always. I was really amazed how well that 10 does, shows u what a well built box can do.

Comment

how illegal is it to run without a third brake light? What year were they made a requirement?

Comment

Working...
                                X