tach and mpg not working help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach and mpg not working help!

so i just baught a 87 325i and im pretty sure it has a 325e motor in it first question is was a easy forsure way of figuring that out...and the main problem is that the tach doesn't work and the mpg guage doesn't work and the speedo works when it wants or when i smack the dash board. if anyone has any ideas how to fix this let me know. thanks

get a new cluster that works. they all break. the parts to fix them arent cheap.

Comment

You might need to bye a new SI board or git new batteries for it.

What are your inspection indicator lights at?
      sigpic

Comment

I would also say SI board batteries.

As far as the speedo goes, could be as simple as a loose plug on the back of the cluster. Or it's just bad.

Comment

ok so what kind of batteries does the SI board take?

Comment

I have this same problem on my 88 ix, and the red and yellow oil service lights stay on all the time, whether the car is off or on.

Also, not to get off track but my coolant light on the overhead stays on whenever the car is on, but I am not overheating and I have a good coolant level. Any ideas on this?
            WTB late model, anywhere on the east coast will go as far west as Texas for the right car at the right price. 5 speed 6cyl only.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid." - Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffesaurusrex View Post
              I have this same problem on my 88 ix, and the red and yellow oil service lights stay on all the time, whether the car is off or on.

Also, not to get off track but my coolant light on the overhead stays on whenever the car is on, but I am not overheating and I have a good coolant level. Any ideas on this?
              Problem one: si board/batteries
              Problem two: replace your coolant level sensor

To the op: pull your gauge cluster and take it apart, clean all the contacts of the boards and the gauges (all the pins and the sockets they go into). Then when you reinstall, make sure the two grounding nuts on the back of the cluster are on tight. Doing that cured all of my cluster issues in my wife's '87 325.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Before I get into it and have it all apart, does it take a special battery or can I buy it at walmart?
                WTB late model, anywhere on the east coast will go as far west as Texas for the right car at the right price. 5 speed 6cyl only.

Comment

Search
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I did, some people talk about AA's, but they look like they are about 1/3 the length of a AA. Also one thread said that "my coolant temp sensor works, so the SI batteries are good". Well my coolant temp gauge works good too... does that mean something else is wrong?

Guess I'll just have to take it apart and see for myself.

Comment

Different years/brand clusters use different batteries. If your service interval lights will reset and work properly, then your batteries are good and the culprit is either the gauge or the board/connection to it.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

yea the green yellow and red lights stay on and sometimes blink but even when the cars off they are on.

Comment

^Then your batteries are shot. The batteries will need to be soldered in in most cases. If you're not comfortable doing that they sell reman'd boards.
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

I just took out my board and soldered new batteries in (I used energizer 2500mah rechargeable batteries). I don't know how long it will last but it fixed my tach and service lights. However, my mpg gauge still doesn't work. I would think some sort of sender was bad, but the OBC mpg indicators still work, and afaik the obc takes most of it's inputs from the dash.

I'm baffled, but I'm pretty satisfied that at least my tach works.

Comment

right on im goin to try that thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X