Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys think this will sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys think this will sound...

Most people that fire their sub through the skihole, have a box. This guy just has the sub mounted to a board with no box.
    How would it sound. i am thinking about doing this idea when i get me rear seat with the armrest.

Kicker comps are very versatile, open air miht not sound too bad. With a box it will have more thump obviously.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
      Kicker comps are very versatile, open air miht not sound too bad. With a box it will have more thump obviously.
      I wasn't planning on using the same sub as that guy. I was going to go with a JL. I was just wondering how it would sound with that setup. Would it be worth it to build a box? I am leaning towards the above setup, because I have never built a sub-box, and it seems like a simple installation. I don't want to do it if won't hit hard because of no box. Has anyone here has any experience with a similar setup?

Comment

Oh.

I dunno, if your gonna cut out the ski hole might as well make a box, you'll be happier with it (more boom out of the sub)

Ask Jordan about his measurements, he seems happy with his.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
          Oh.
          I dunno, if your gonna cut out the ski hole might as well make a box, you'll be happier with it (more boom out of the sub)

Ask Jordan about his measurements, he seems happy with his.
          Yeah, I think you are right. If I do it, I should do it right the first time. How do you make a sub-box? I have never made one before. What materials do you use? Any advise?

Comment

To do it the "right" way you dont nessescarily need a box. If the sub is made for free air or IB (infinite baffle) then youll be ok doing it the same way the guy did it up there. If it is designed for IB, then youll need to make SURE that every little hole that is from the cabin of the car to the trunk is sealed up. Then your trunk will basically act as the box for the sub. Basically just a huge sealed box. You just have to be sure that the cabin completely sealed off from the trunk.

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

The bass I get from a free-air 12" sub firing through the ski-hole is great. I'm sure I could tweak out some more boom if I had a box, but I didn't want one and the space it would take up in the trunk. This is honestly good enough for me. The arm rest folded down really helps too because the stock non-armrest rear seat is thick foam.
              E36 1998 M3 Coupe - Titanium Silver (M3 Tech Procedures)
              E30 1991 318i - Red (318i Tech Procedures)

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist
                To do it the "right" way you dont nessescarily need a box. If the sub is made for free air or IB (infinite baffle) then youll be ok doing it the same way the guy did it up there. If it is designed for IB, then youll need to make SURE that every little hole that is from the cabin of the car to the trunk is sealed up. Then your trunk will basically act as the box for the sub. Basically just a huge sealed box. You just have to be sure that the cabin completely sealed off from the trunk.

Will
                There is going to be no way to make the trunk completely sealed, so don't waste your time patching up holes.

It seems the only reason you want to do this is to save yourself from building a box.

Most subs come with dimensions for an "optimal" box. Go to the Home Depot, spend $30 on some MDF, screws, and Liquid Nails, and you can assemble the box in 30 minutes and have FAR superior sound to that free air sub.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                X