No announcement yet.

Kenwood HU cutting out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you identified all the correct speaker wires post factory amp? If so, just run 4 new pairs of wire to the aftermarket head unit from that point. That's usually what I do with PS cars. That way all the speaker routing is done for you.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

oh yeah. update. I finished the wiring. the reason why I was confused was because cars with an OEM cd changer had an unusual wiring set up. That is, in front of the speaker wiring, BMW used a different harnes that caught me off guard. I had to cut that off before the wiring made sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Why would you power the antenna unless you were using it? The Kenwood has a separate output just for the antenna, that would be the blue wire. It is live only when the unit is in tuner mode versus the blue/white that has power whenever the unit is on
        I'm getting reception issues now on the radio but that could be because I don't have a good mast antenna. Luke just to confirm. If I convert my car over to a mast/stationary antenna (as seen in the e36 convertibles) instead of using stock power/motor antenna, I do not need to worry about the blue or blue white wires being hooked up is that correct?

Comment

Yeah, basically. That is only a tiny +12V signal to turn on the antenna motor. No motor, no worries...unless you do the BMW stubby, then you will want to use that wire again.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

wait a sec. am I not using a BMW stubby currently? I though I was since I did the z3 antenna retrofit

what exactly does the other white wire do then (since there is 2)

Comment

bump. sorry dash is apart now

Comment

1 white wire turns on the amp, the other tells the antenna to go up.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Yeah, basically. That is only a tiny +12V signal to turn on the antenna motor. No motor, no worries...unless you do the BMW stubby, then you will want to use that wire again.
                  one last question Luke. Forgive my lack of knowledge about voltage. so this +12 Switched white wire. I assume, the 12+ would be constant until I switched out of Tuner mode?

Comment

bump =)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      one last question Luke. Forgive my lack of knowledge about voltage. so this +12 Switched white wire. I assume, the 12+ would be constant until I switched out of Tuner mode?
                      Blue/white turns the amp on, so it puts out 12V whenever the deck is on. The solid blue puts out 12V ONLY in "Tuner" mode, as you assumed.

There is something in the menu on your deck that can screw that up though: if you turn "TI" on, that blue will act the same as blue/white.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                      X