X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
    one last question Luke. Forgive my lack of knowledge about voltage. so this +12 Switched white wire. I assume, the 12+ would be constant until I switched out of Tuner mode?
    Blue/white turns the amp on, so it puts out 12V whenever the deck is on. The solid blue puts out 12V ONLY in "Tuner" mode, as you assumed.

There is something in the menu on your deck that can screw that up though: if you turn "TI" on, that blue will act the same as blue/white.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    bump =)

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    Yeah, basically. That is only a tiny +12V signal to turn on the antenna motor. No motor, no worries...unless you do the BMW stubby, then you will want to use that wire again.
    one last question Luke. Forgive my lack of knowledge about voltage. so this +12 Switched white wire. I assume, the 12+ would be constant until I switched out of Tuner mode?

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    1 white wire turns on the amp, the other tells the antenna to go up.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    bump. sorry dash is apart now

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    wait a sec. am I not using a BMW stubby currently? I though I was since I did the z3 antenna retrofit

what exactly does the other white wire do then (since there is 2)

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Yeah, basically. That is only a tiny +12V signal to turn on the antenna motor. No motor, no worries...unless you do the BMW stubby, then you will want to use that wire again.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
    Why would you power the antenna unless you were using it? The Kenwood has a separate output just for the antenna, that would be the blue wire. It is live only when the unit is in tuner mode versus the blue/white that has power whenever the unit is on
    I'm getting reception issues now on the radio but that could be because I don't have a good mast antenna. Luke just to confirm. If I convert my car over to a mast/stationary antenna (as seen in the e36 convertibles) instead of using stock power/motor antenna, I do not need to worry about the blue or blue white wires being hooked up is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    oh yeah. update. I finished the wiring. the reason why I was confused was because cars with an OEM cd changer had an unusual wiring set up. That is, in front of the speaker wiring, BMW used a different harnes that caught me off guard. I had to cut that off before the wiring made sense to me

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Have you identified all the correct speaker wires post factory amp? If so, just run 4 new pairs of wire to the aftermarket head unit from that point. That's usually what I do with PS cars. That way all the speaker routing is done for you.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    Luke, this is where i found the diagram

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 12-10-2010, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    You are pissing off that little IC amp. If you aren't grounding the speakers though their return wire (the negative) you should not show the deck anything under like 1000 ohms and you are showing it 4 ohms...kind of a steep load, so it gets hot.

E30 decks do run hot too, as there is not any ventilation up there at all.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    great. thanks! I'm excited to get everything together. I'll also provide the link. so far based on my current HU wiring from my pictures earlier in the thread... only the speaker wiring is incorrect.

However, I cant seem to get over the fact that my HU runs really hot in the heat sink area after a minute of usage. I hope its not a power issue. Do you have any experience with Kenwood units running very hot to the touch Luke?

Leave a comment:

• StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
    very true. I got it off another forum I'll pull the link later. I'll admit his wiring for speakers are a bit off but I was able to verify what the 3 additional thick wires were for on my amp.

That said. can you elaborate what the purpose of the 2 idential white wires from the dash are for?

I know one is to power the antenna but what is the other one for specifically? Is it to power the factory amp? If thats the case, since I'm using my HU to power my speakers I'm thinking of just taping both of them off away from the harness
    it is to turn the amp on. You can tape if you want, but when I install deck power only, I simply leave it bundled in the dash disconnected.

BTW: any clue who made that diagram? That is perfect early PS...remember when I said to look for twisted pairs? The early installs have something else, I just can't remember what.

Leave a comment:

• bmwstephen
    replied
    very true. I got it off another forum I'll pull the link later. I'll admit his wiring for speakers are a bit off but I was able to verify what the 3 additional thick wires were for on my amp.

That said. can you elaborate what the purpose of the 2 idential white wires from the dash are for?

I know one is to power the antenna but what is the other one for specifically? Is it to power the factory amp? If thats the case, since I'm using my HU to power my speakers I'm thinking of just taping both of them off away from the harness
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X