Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a wire passthrough on the rhd side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a wire passthrough on the rhd side?

hey all

May not be helpful asking here as we have rhd cars so stuffs the wrong way around but where do you guys run 4ga power cables on front battery e30's? on mine it goes from right side of the car to a factory grommet on the left near the booster then across to the right again.. (would have done it other side but i fucked it up lol)

so yeah, is there a hole in the firewall i can punch out or not really?
    RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
    89' 318i

Where does the engine computer harness come through on the RHD cars? On mine (LHD) the engine computer harness comes through on the passenger side into the glovebox for the ECU. Any wires I have needed to run through there, I poke a small hole in the rubber and stuff it through so it's still tight and sealed.

Comment

yeah ecu is same location on rhd e30's

so you run them with the ecu loom?

4ga wire a bit thick to do that :(
      RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
      89' 318i

Comment

Shouldn't power leads be run somewhere away from the existing wiring? Why not just drill a hole wherever you need it and use a grommet to seal it up?
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
          Shouldn't power leads be run somewhere away from the existing wiring? Why not just drill a hole wherever you need it and use a grommet to seal it up?
          Only as issue for signal wires, and then it is 9/10ths mythical

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            Only as issue for signal wires, and then it is 9/10ths mythical
            Gotcha.

Speaking of holes... is there anything in the rear firewall I can use to pass cables through or should I just make my own holes?

Edit: my car doesn't have the pass through
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

AC grommet.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Josh, my rule is follow the factory routes as much as possible. When you pull the rear seat back, you will see the factory grommets have a space you can cut out to run wires through.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
                  so yeah, is there a hole in the firewall i can punch out or not really?
                  Sorry, to bump an old thread, but I went looking for this info and couldn't find it.

I went to the junkyard yesterday to see how the 0/1 guage wire is run on a coupe/sedan, as I figured that this would be the best "path" to run 4 gauge wire on my convertible to the trunk. It is pretty easy.

1) Remove the battery from the engine bay.
                  2) Lift up the foam firewall padding that wraps around to the passenger fender. If you look REALLY carefully at the wide wall of the battery box, right underneath where the AC lines run into the cab, you will see an oblong (oval) indentation.
                  3) Take a flat blade screwdriver and a mallet and punch out the plug. A few good taps along the edges of the indentation will knock it in.
                  4) Either pull a grommet from a junkyard or order one from BMW (part number 61 13 1 374 974) ~ $6
                  5) Follow the wireloom down the kickpanel and back under the door opening
                  The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Working...
                  X