Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Bass? Spring box build is here! E34s too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my passenger bass hole, lines up great

But the driver side is off by just about a half inch.

I think I've still got the tar under there, thats why the fit is so snug under the speaker baskets, but that shouldn't have anything to do with my problem should it? As that would just make the box higher or lower.
    Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 03-26-2011, 02:55 PM.
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Stop whatever the hell you are doing.

Go remove ALL the trunk tar, your box WILL NOT fit with it in, as I have said about 10 million times.

That looks like you cut the carpet flaps out of the port holes...I hope you did not, that is what holds the port tubes in.

With that extra 3/4" of trunk tar, the box is not in place.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

So they shouldn't be symmetrical ok because I was measuring 13" from passenger bass port to edge of box and 12 5/8" from driver bass port to edge of box. That 3/8" would just about fix my problem.

Here are my measurments. I did 2.5" and 2" distance for both holes as instructed in your install thread. Both holes should drilled using the same measurements right? Because on your install thread you just have a picture of one side measured out.
        The holes I drilled are 2.75 inches apart.
        West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
        ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

The box fit all the way against the wall just fine (well a little snug) with the tar intact. Sorry I didn't read anywhere to remove the trunk tar on either of your box install threads.

What carpet flaps on the port holes are you referring to? Are you talking about on the carpet rear deck where the speakers go? I drilled the hole on the way through the metal and the carpet, as is pictured in your install thread. Or are you talking about the carpet inside the box's holes? I left that intact.

The 3/4" inch tar will only make the box sit lower not more to one side or the other won't it? Regardless I'll go do that whilst I wait for a reply.

EDIT: alright well didn't know anything about this damned trunk tar, so guess I'll be down there for a couple more hours, Chisel, spud bar, axe, its coming slowly but surely. Luckily its a little bit under 40, glad I didn't do it last week when it was 70. If I only had dry ice and an air chisel.
          Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Removed all the trunk tar at the top of the trunk, The box does slide in more nicely, but the port hole is still off. I removed the side liner in hopes I could move the box to the side a bit but no luck. It is still hitting the battery wire.

Here is a picture after removing the tar and reinstalling the box. The driver's side port is at that angle because that is what it takes to get it to actually start to go into the box. EDIT: That sharpie semicircle to the right of the driver's port is about where I figure I'll need to cut to get it to fit correctly.

I've got to work tomorrow so I won't be able to put any more effort into it until tommorrow night or so. I'm probably going to have to just cut more off my rear deck so I can position the port correctly but it looks like in order to make the port fit it will be rubbing the brace, It actually looks like I might have to cut into the brace a little bit. But hopefully the port will just slide snugly next to the brace and into the box.

Before I do more cutting I'd like to figure out what went wrong. My holes look just about identical to the ones you did in your install thread, so I'm just not sure whats wrong here. EDIT: Again my holes are 2.75" apart, could anyone confirm that is correct? Here is where I compared both mine and luke's holes (bottom of page) crap forgot the link: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=120407&page=2
            Last edited by NeoMishMoo; 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: added some additional info

Comment

Finally got my stereo installed, including the Infinity sub in my sweet sweet box. However, I can't get the box up flush with the back of the seat/skipass. It looks like I am several inches short of making it. It's not an issue of being too tall, it's an issue of being too wide.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a trick I am missing? The car it's mounted in is a 1995 540i.

Still, even NOT being flush with the ski pass, it still sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by Oplopanax View Post
                Finally got my stereo installed, including the Infinity sub in my sweet sweet box. However, I can't get the box up flush with the back of the seat/skipass. It looks like I am several inches short of making it. It's not an issue of being too tall, it's an issue of being too wide.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a trick I am missing? The car it's mounted in is a 1995 540i.

It requires some kicking to both of the back sides of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                  It requires some kicking to both of the back sides of the box.

Did that and then some. I actually tried to pound it in with a hammer (protected the box by using a piece of wood). No dice. It's not close enough in size to just push it through with force.

Comment

Did that and then some. I actually tried to pound it in with a hammer (protected the box by using a piece of wood). No dice. It's not close enough in size to just push it through with force.
                    Did you remove the tar stuff in the trunk?

Comment

The 540 is a V8 rather than the I6 to which Luke had referred to earlier, i.e. no tar stuff in the trunk to remove.

Comment

The 540 is a V8 rather than the I6 to which Luke had referred to earlier, i.e. no tar stuff in the trunk to remove.
                        Oh my mistake, this is E34, I have not done an E34 install! Sorry Best of Luck to ya!

Comment

LOL, no worries! I forget that this is an E30 forum :)

Comment

LOL, no worries! I forget that this is an E30 forum :)
                            If i wasn't such as skim reader i would have noticed you posted

The car it's mounted in is a 1995 540i.

Comment

My e34 has no trunk tar loooool
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Got most the trunk tar removed, at least at the front of the trunk, It didn't come out very easily at all, especially the area over the exhaust pipe where it was nice and sticky. Box still not fitting though. Anyone else buy a 12" box? Anyone successfully installed it yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X