Replacing "premium" speakers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing "premium" speakers...

Car came with no rear speaks. Don't feel like paying for/finding a set of the factory "angled" housings, just want to throw a set of speakers in. Anyone replaced the factory housings with just a pair of speakers? Looks like the opening is either 5"x7" or 6"x9" - is there room to mount?

I put 5x7s in my opening of the cutouts for the stock premium speakers. I made an adapter plate though, and used the stock grills so nobody can tell.

The magnets are close to hitting the sheetmetal underneith, but they don't. They would with 6x9s for sure, plus you'd have to cut out the rear shelf more. You don't want 6x9s anyways, nor oval speakers for that matter. Actually, back speakers aren't that good at all :) Best to do is focus on your front speakers, and add a sub if you want more bass.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
      I put 5x7s in my opening of the cutouts for the stock premium speakers. I made an adapter plate though, and used the stock grills so nobody can tell.

The magnets are close to hitting the sheetmetal underneith, but they don't. They would with 6x9s for sure, plus you'd have to cut out the rear shelf more. You don't want 6x9s anyways, nor oval speakers for that matter. Actually, back speakers aren't that good at all :) Best to do is focus on your front speakers, and add a sub if you want more bass.
      Yeah, I have a sub (12" Boston) but I like rear fill - personal opinion. I don't like ovals either, but I want a nice clean looking install, and the 5x7's would give me that. What sort of modification plate did you make? What stock grills did you use? I only have 5.25" stock grills...

Comment

If you just want rear fill, I'd say stick with the 5.25".

I can take pics of my setup if you want. It's taken a lot of adjustment and tinkering to keep a decent soundstage. I would prefer no rear speakers but don't feel like messing with my stereo anymore.

RISING EDGE

Comment

If you just want rear fill, I'd say stick with the 5.25".

I can take pics of my setup if you want. It's taken a lot of adjustment and tinkering to keep a decent soundstage. I would prefer no rear speakers but don't feel like messing with my stereo anymore.
          I agree on the 5.25's, but the holes are cut for 5x7's..meaning I just want to throw something in there. Not a fan of hacking or using adapter plates...unless it really does look ok.

Comment

Ok, I am sort of confused. You said the car came with no rear speakers. But the cutouts are there for 5x7s? Or do you mean it has the rectangular cutouts for the stock premium speakers? Because nothing is going to fit in there anyways.

Give me 15 min and I will post pics. EDIT: Batteries are dead, I will post some tomorrow.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Ok, I am sort of confused. You said the car came with no rear speakers. But the cutouts are there for 5x7s? Or do you mean it has the rectangular cutouts for the stock premium speakers? Because nothing is going to fit in there anyways.

Give me 15 min and I will post pics.
              Yes, the car came with no speakers. It's an 86 ES and it caome with the premium rear speakers at some point. The holes looked like they'd hold 5x7's, but I never measured. If nothing other than the factory housings will fit...I'll have to find a set of factory housings :)

Thanks for posting pics if you get a chance...I appreciate it :)

Comment

Batteries are dead, I will post some tomorrow.

I understand about the deck now. Here is a rundown of my setup:

My car had the premium stereo. What I did was removed the speakers from the angled housings in the rear. Then I used a dremel to cutaway most of the material. Then, using a sheet of ABS, I made an adapter to fit my 5x7 Infinity Kappas across the 6x8" cutout of the rear deck. I then cut the adapter to fit under the stock grill/angled housing. So basically I have a 5x7 hidden under each stock housing/grill.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Batteries are dead, I will post some tomorrow.

I understand about the deck now. Here is a rundown of my setup:

My car had the premium stereo. What I did was removed the speakers from the angled housings in the rear. Then I used a dremel to cutaway most of the material. Then, using a sheet of ABS, I made an adapter to fit my 5x7 Infinity Kappas across the 6x8" cutout of the rear deck. I then cut the adapter to fit under the stock grill/angled housing. So basically I have a 5x7 hidden under each stock housing/grill.
                  Ahhhhh...so you modified those premium angled speaker housings to fit a 5x7....I see what you mean now. I don't have the housings - and eyeballing it I thought the 5x7's would fit in the cutouts. Guess I was wrong :) Decisions, decisions...find a pair of stock housings, or find another rear deck...or come up with something else :)

Comment

Well, the stock housings are nothing but a stealth cover/grill. The 5x7s are mounted to the adapter plate, which is just hidden under the housing.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Go to town with a hammer like my PO did. My 5x7's from my other car fit pretty easily in there, of course I don't really advise this because it looks tacky and doesn't sound as good as it could. As long as you don't have gapping holes I'd suggest 5.25's.

TJ thats using the head. Pics would be nice if you get them up.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Well, the stock housings are nothing but a stealth cover/grill. The 5x7s are mounted to the adapter plate, which is just hidden under the housing.
                        Sneaky. I like the idea - but if I got the housings, I'd just use the 5.25's I have lying around ;) I guess I'm buying them either way if i want a clean install eh?

Originally posted by eightyfoure
                        Go to town with a hammer like my PO did. My 5x7's from my other car fit pretty easily in there, of course I don't really advise this because it looks tacky and doesn't sound as good as it could. As long as you don't have gapping holes I'd suggest 5.25's.

TJ thats using the head. Pics would be nice if you get them up.
                        Agreed - whenever you get the chance, no hurry, pics are nice. Though it sounds like it just looks like you have stock factory premium speakers.

No hammer goes into freakin speaker holes. Hacks...ugh ;) The holes are too big for 5.25's, and a big adapter would look cheese-tastic.

Comment

Working...
                        X