Droid to amp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delete
    Last edited by Mikhail Bakunin; 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Bakunin View Post
      Ummm...well this is awkward....yea...that's kinda what you said...Wait, so I need to read your mind to know what you didn't say....ok. Again, I'm sorry....but what you posted is wrong.

A $60 box to fix an simple problem?....I guess it's a workaround - an expensive and unneeded workaround at that. This is easy stuff - are you really suggesting a black box...come-on man....

EDIT - here ya go...do this: Another thing you might try is that the driod might not think it's connect to headphones unless it actually is connected to headphones and sees that load. You could try to tap into a set up headphones and run that signal to the amp at the same time (in other words, so the driod would be connected to headphones AND the amp at the same time). Just a thought.
      Oh fuck, come on...a Droid has maybe 30mV output, and you want to feed that directly into multiple amps? Maybe that will work, but it is fucking retarded.

Maybe his amps mute if there is not enough of a load on the pre-amp stage, I have seen that before. His old MD portable has at least triple the output of his Droid, thanks to the FCC. 100mV is common, my old MZ-R70 has 140mV.

He needs something that is for damn sure. Seems a $60 box that gives him 7V down the RCAs and a volume control is a winner...but you are the pro here, right? Make a better suggestion. Plugging ANY portable device into ANY car audio amp directly is a piss-poor idea if you care at all about performance.

In the meantime, that whole "not plugged in" thing is exactly why I told him to get his other portables out, and he said he HAS used this same phone to run other devices with no issues.

I have yet to see a 4 conductor phone jack not work well with a 3 conductor plug, but he better test the plug too...I just figured Simon has the smarts to do that, the fucker does stunning work and applies logic and intelligence to everything I have seen from him.

But, since you cannot seem to connect the dots laid out in other peoples threads, I will make sure to spell them out in the future for you.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hmmm.. guys - i'm feeling shitty today - and waiting for a long/rear/brake supply line to get in before heading back out to the garage. * dread *

Luke: I see where you're coming from
        and
        Mikhail: I see where you're coming from

at this point, I need to try another portable to see if it's connection related - or weak signal from droid related.

Thanks all for input - it is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna rest up and will report results in near future.
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

lol Luke. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
            lol Luke. thanks
            Can you tell this kid is starting to piss me off?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

a lil bit

Comment

You're incorrect, Sir.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Oh fuck, come on.
                I guess basically what you are saying is to to get out of your sandbox and that only you have the magic answers...I get it. I've approached into your territory...blah, blah, blah... I'd expect more of a mod...but whatever. I'll respect your domain.

So...I won't help anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Bakunin
                  You're incorrect, Sir.

I guess basically what you are saying is to to get out of your sandbox and that only you have the magic answers...I get it. This is your kingdom. I've approached into your territory and now you're going to make a pissing match out of it. I'd expect more of a mod...but whatever. I respect your domain.

So...I won't help. Just be sure you wrap this thread up with a post that will make it seems as if you knew the answer all along and were correct.
                  Officially on my "Dipshit List".

If you read 1/100th of my posts, I am all about this NOT being my "Kingdom", but see it as you see fit.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Couldn't find the MD player - but did find/try out an old sony discman I used to use. Same deal.. was like the amp just didn't 'hear' it.

Put that JL unit on order.. will keep updating..

This is weird - just not finding info on anyone else running into this issue..

Comment

Simon, something else is wrong. Swap cables, feed amp directly from adapter, don't trust any indicator, use a testlight to make sure power is at the amp.

Some amps turn the "power" light on even with no power on the main lead.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Thanks Luke.
                        Phone does work when it's phone to adapter to amp.
                        Yet, when I plug that adapter into the glovebox RCA (that works fine with deck) - no dice.

Am I losing a lot of signal strength through the ~12' of RCA cable?

Comment

Thanks Luke.
                          Phone does work when it's phone to adapter to amp.
                          Same cable and all? WTF!

Yet, when I plug that adapter into the glovebox RCA (that works fine with deck) - no dice.

Am I losing a lot of signal strength through the ~12' of RCA cable?
                          Well, I bet it is something else.

Do you have another long RCA around?

You will love that JL box. Did you see the "flushed" sub level control DIY? You can do the same thing with that...I personally would put it just below the cigarette lighter socket, on the ashtray...or replace the lighter itself if you don't need/want it. You could even stealth out and glue the lighter knob on the volume pot...

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                            Same cable and all? WTF!
                            I know – that’s what I said.

Well, I bet it is something else.
                            Since the long/glovebox cable works for the deck – diminished signal power is all I can come up with.

Do you have another long RCA around?
                            Yes – somewhere – in a box – that is somewhere.. even if I found it, I sure as hell don’t feel like gutting the interior for the third/forth time to replace the one that’s in there.

You will love that JL box. Did you see the "flushed" sub level control DIY? You can do the same thing with that...I personally would put it just below the cigarette lighter socket, on the ashtray...or replace the lighter itself if you don't need/want it. You could even stealth out and glue the lighter knob on the volume pot...
                            Yeah – something tells me it will do the trick. Yes – I totally saw your “Flushed” DIY. The funny thing is – is that I’ve gone to such great measures to de-clutter my interior – that I will likely hook it up, adjust the knob till phone signal matches deck signal, wrap the whole thing in zipties, and shove it up the dash’s ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X