engine cutting out with aftermarket headunit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine cutting out with aftermarket headunit

my engine is cutting out with the aftermarket headunit that the PO had installed in the car (87 325e). i know thats it's due to the headunit drawing to much power, and when i get on the throttle it interferes with the amount of spark the engine gets. what he said to do is connect the headunit to the positive terminal up front for more power. is this the proper way to do it? im sure that this is a common problem, so if anyone knows, or can post a link to a thread that explains this it would be much appreciated. im searching as you read this, but im just trying to speed up the process of finding the answer. thanks in advance!
    sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

There is no way the head unit would draw enough power to cause the engine to cut out. Something is wired wrong. Pull the deck out and take a look. I recommend using the stock wires for everything. They are plenty adequate enough.

Comment

Sounds like someone wired the head unit power to the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner Sam23 View Post
        Sounds like someone wired the head unit power to the ignition.
        yes it does. damn, i knew that there was something fishy about him telling me to give it more juice. ill have to take it out and have look.
        sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Working...
        X