No announcement yet.

The E30 Aftermarket Alarm Installation Writeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Dave, I hadn't heard that before about the handle and the relay. I'll give that a shot when I open up the kick panel. And thanks Luke for the pics, this thread is becoming quite informative!

As for the diagram software, it looks like the Windows link from the QUCS site goes to the wrong download. You should be able to download the Windows .exe installer from this link on Sourceforge.
    Last edited by 84driver; 09-07-2011, 11:48 AM.
    balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

Comment

Updated diagram, now badly colored with Photoshop.

I'm also strongly considering putting the trunk release relay next to the actuator in the trunk so that I can power it off of the power door lock fused circuit. Also then I won't have to run a 15A line all the way to the trunk, just the trigger.

Comment

You don't have a constant +12V at the actuator, but the amp and the antenna are both close.

I really wanna see what you can do with the trunk pop. I have spent several hours looking at latches, both in and out of E30s. I gave up years ago, but have always loved trunk pop.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Im subscribing to this thread as I've been wanting to do an install for a while!!!

Comment

Nice writeup! Luke did mine as I hate wiring on my own time. Been chasing trons for the last 19 years active duty.

BTW If your girl wants an X3 mine is for sale (shameless plug)
            Continuous For Sale Thread
            323i s50

Comment

Thanks Court, I'm not a pro so feel free to suggest any improvements. I think she's stuck on an X5 but I'll keep your offer in mind.

Updated the first post with prewiring photos. I didn't wire up the trunk release yet, that'll happen late this week when my 524N actuator and my Z3 antenna arrive.

Not yet noted on the diagram is the Scytek G20's black wire on the same plug as the red 12v, yellow ignition, and white parking light wires. That black wire I'm sure goes to ground although it is not described in the Scytek manual or diagram.

Not sure yet where I'm going to mount the LED. Any suggestions? I've seen some people use the E36 OEM alarm LED mount but that is a hassle. I know there is a door installation method (by the lock) but I'm wary of cutting a hole in my door vinyl. Also not sure that just drilling a hole in a switch blank will look clean enough... More photos and description coming soon with the install!

Comment

Black is ground i confirmed with scytek on my unit

-Blame my typos on my fat fingers & Droid Charge

Comment

A fairly easy way to mount the LED is to strip all of the outer "bezel" off of it, drill a hole in a blank plate (or just below the lighter, left of the ashtray) just big enough for the bare LED to poke through, then a tiny drop of crazy glue on the backside to hold it in place.

I prefer the door LEDs myself, I generally do them on every car I own. BTW, I have lots of Scytek LEDs in stock, both blue and red. If anyone really needs one, I might be willing to hook you up cheap.

Maybe.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Hmm.... Putting the diodes in series to increase their current rating doesn't sound right. Think you might have wanted parallel.
                    -Dave
                    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

BTW, you do not need to diode isolate the 2 sides. Myth: busted.

All it will do is parallel the 2 sides of parking lights. On a US car, no worries, the switch does not care.

If you want to use a euro parking light switch, use diodes.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        I prefer the door LEDs myself, I generally do them on every car I own. BTW, I have lots of Scytek LEDs in stock, both blue and red. If anyone really needs one, I might be willing to hook you up cheap.
                        I'd definitely prefer a red LED over the blue one which came stock. Is there a chance you have a pic or two of the door LED installed?

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                        Hmm.... Putting the diodes in series to increase their current rating doesn't sound right. Think you might have wanted parallel.
                        You are right. I don't know where I read and retained this bad advice... now I know that diodes in series increases their voltage rating. Also I read that diodes in parallel are likely to fail, I should have used 6A diodes if I needed them.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        BTW, you do not need to diode isolate the 2 sides. Myth: busted.

All it will do is parallel the 2 sides of parking lights. On a US car, no worries, the switch does not care.

If you want to use a euro parking light switch, use diodes.
                        Bummer, definitely wasted some time on this one. I'll clip it out and save the diodes for a hood pin trigger, or something...

Comment

You can run a pair in series and lose virtually nothing in brightness.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Luke, your using domestic manufacturer reasoning there!

The left/right split is primarily for the city parking lights in euroland, but it is also fairly important when your crapcan starts having issues from it's half-ass radio install and pops fuse 23. Fuse 22 is still good and isolated from that failure and you at least have some lights on the back of the car.

The domestic approach is to have the rear lights share the fuse with the dash lights so in the event of a failure, the driver hopefully notices the lack of lighting in the instrument panel.
                            -Dave
                            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Luke, nice door install photo. Perhaps I will do that after I get the red LED.

Dave, are you in agreement with Luke (no diodes necessary) ? Not sure which way to read that :)

Comment

Dave makes a good point that you likely should use diodes, but I don't on my own cars.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X