Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that ported box must give out some ridiculously clean bass

Comment

It does, especially since it has under 3% port velocity....thanks!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Hey, Luke. What's a good price range for a decent 5 channel amp?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          Oh...LOL...good timing!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
            Oh...LOL...good timing!

Closing SOON!

Comment

That's a heck of a deal, i wasn't ready to upgrade my other speakers so i went mono jx250, looks like box will wait until next month, went with more expensive subs and amp then i originally wanted to. Go big or go home???

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2
              sigpicMy Project!

Official North Texas Bimmers Club E30 Representative

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

Originally posted by bigdrick323 View Post
                Go Lukebox or go home
                Corrected that for you.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Also interested in porting my e46 sedan, any good ideas, i have amp rack mounted to rear, behind seat so the punch out is kinda useless, Plus i would like to port it for best accuracy. Luke, you seem to know your stuff on this, i have a sealed fiberglass box custom fit to the spare well space, 2 12"s facing directly up. Thanks in advance.

sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

"If you have questions about events or need help in the DFW area don't be afraid to contact me."

Comment

That's a heck of a deal, i wasn't ready to upgrade my other speakers so i went mono jx250, looks like box will wait until next month, went with more expensive subs and amp then i originally wanted to. Go big or go home???

JX250? Return that overpriced Taiwan turd.

When you amplify your other speakers they get a "High Pass Filter" and magically, they will handle 400X more power.

Yes...FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT more power.

Have you not ready what I have posted? This is not some bullshit I made up, this is 100% physics. Get an amp on those speakers if you expect decent sound. It is NOT about the power, it is about the tuning. Being able to adjust levels and crossovers is critical, that is what makes for a great sounding car.

Return that turd of an amp (JX series are the worst crap JL has made yet BTW) and get a logical choice. If you are dead set on JL, ONLY get a "slash" series, all else are junk. If that means used from CL, so be it. I had a 250/1 fall into my hands earlier for $40...if you have to have JL, ONLY get the "/" series.

Oh: fuck JL. For the most part, it is insanely overpriced crap. What is not crap is still overpriced...you pay top dollar for Chinese shit with JL!

Also interested in porting my e46 sedan, any good ideas, i have amp rack mounted to rear, behind seat so the punch out is kinda useless, Plus i would like to port it for best accuracy. Luke, you seem to know your stuff on this, i have a sealed fiberglass box custom fit to the spare well space, 2 12"s facing directly up. Thanks in advance.

Advise you on a spare tire subwoofer? Oh dear god, I hate this.

I can't say anything without sounding like a total dick...but that is because spare tire woofers are pure stupid, especially in a BMW.

OK: advice.

Yes...remove it and throw it away. It is shitty engineering and will never sound good, ever. All that is possible is to make a bunch of baggypants boom, it will never make quality bass. It can't, because it is stupid engineering.

Hell, the rattles are likely louder than the bass in your cabin!

The stuff we do is all about performance: clean, clear quality sound. The fact that we consistently kick the shit of of the typical "pair of 12's, yo" should tell you something.

The fact that we get twice the bass using half the power and half the woofers while aiming for Audiophile sound should tell you just how shitty and stupid most car audio is. There literally is zero engineering in a spare tire box like that, not even an attempt.

Oh: fiberglass is a shit material for enclosures. I don't give a fuck what anyone does with it, how thick it is or if they can stand on it, fiberglass is shit. Anything built out of glass will sound better with LESS weight if built from MDF. Go study the term "Youngs Modulus" and report back. You will never use fiberglass again if quality sound is your goal. Fiberglass sounds like shit, that is why it does not happen here at G.A.S., ever.

Quit wasting your money on crappy, lame engineering and quit paying for stupid labels, thats my advice! We will have the E46 box done soon, get one, ditch the 200 pounds of bullshit you have now and use a single 10.

You will get better sound, louder, and with less power.

Our goal here is to make a better subwoofer than your local shop or "buddy who build boxes" is even capable of, and make it inexpensive enough that NOT getting one is stupid. I demand that the boxes we build are the absolute best value in car audio, period.

Anyone who has heard one of our $250 boxes with a $50 woofer and a $100 amp can attest it WILL kick the shit out of $1200 worth of typical "car stereo shop" bullshit. It has been shown time and time again...physics don't lie!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

To respond to your second answer first, i got that system installed by professional installers in Dallas, best i could find. I was 22 Years old and by no means an audiophile. The sound quality is very good in that car, bass clarity is not perfect, but still, works and allows me to fully use my trunk for spare, luggage, or whatever i need to lug around. Would i have gone a different route now, maybe but I'm not throwing a whole lot more money at it. If i can get a little better sound in the cabin by cutting some holes in the amp rack, i would do so.

To respond to your first answer, yes, an amp on the mids and highs would be good, but would probably mean upgrading speakers because of the speakers rms load (according to my research and understanding).

The jx250 is not as good as a jl 250/1, but i could not find a great deal on a slash series mono anywhere (in my budget). I am aware of other brands, but jl has done me right and never been dissatisfied.

In either case this system in my test box sounds good without custom box, so very excited to hear it in your new vert box. Just need to wait until i have car money again. With baby on the way i have to cut back.

I appreciate your opinions but you can shoot anger through pm if you feel it is necessary.

sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

Comment

it sounds like you are content with having audio that sounds like ass. If it were my car I would put what you have on Craigslist and start over.

5 channel amp
                        stock premium rears
                        5.25 separates from parts express
                        10" luke box
                        10" Parts express Magic Sub.

it can be done under $600. just watch for sales

Luke has given you solid advice, If you choose to ingore it dont keep asking questions that have already been answered.

Comment

FYI Luke, I havent lost interest in the vert box, but my dead cylinder problem ended up being clogged injector(s) caused by a terribly rusty gas tank. It's pumping out fuel that looks like hard cider. I'm dropping the tank tonight, lucked out with a new one on CL so hopefully I'll be back in action in a day or so.

Comment

What question did i ask that had been answered?

sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkworks View Post
                              it sounds like you are content with having audio that sounds like ass. If it were my car I would put what you have on Craigslist and start over.

5 channel amp
                              stock premium rears
                              5.25 separates from parts express
                              10" luke box
                              10" Parts express Magic Sub.

it can be done under $600. just watch for sales

Luke has given you solid advice, If you choose to ingore it dont keep asking questions that have already been answered.
                              How do you know it sounds like ass, have you heard it?

sigpicMy Project!

www.BimmerAlliance.net

Comment

Luke, I gotta say the box works great in the E30. Had to secure my license plate with double sided foam tape to stop one of 2 places the car was rattling. The other is the roof, but just cracking any of the windows helps.

Been using your box with a Mmats P3.0 10" and Mmats D600.1 amp, along with an Audison SR5 to power the rest (used to run it all off the SR5, hence the 5 channel vs 4)

Comment

Working...
                                X