Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luke, I've had this on my project list ever since you posted it a few years ago. Since my interior is out right now, including carpet, it's the perfect time to upgrade--and replace the home speaker wire a PO used for the amp wiring.

I'm going to buy the Powerbass amp today, but not sure which wiring kit to buy. Doesn't seem to be a 5 channel kit with AGU fuse holder. Can you help a guy out who knows very little about electronics?

Thanks for this finely done project thread sir. Need to wait and order my Lukebox next week. Looking forward to the new sound.

Oh, and when I pulled the carpet I found this homemade one hitter underneath...
    guessing it belonged to that previous stereo tech eh?
    Attached Files

Comment

I always get a mini-ANL fuse...

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
        So to summarize:

The 10 inch woofer needs to meet the following requirements:
        QTS <0.44
        Fs <30Hz
        MM<150g

I should mention that many woofers meet these requirements for your box

Can someone point me to a 10" that fits these specs? Even the 300+ dollar 10" subs I've been researching don't come close, let alone the $50 offerings...

Comment

Exactly, that's why they are suggestions! Get close as you can and it will perform incredible.

Keep in mind that this entire industry is wrong about what matters. The interface of box and woofer is nowhere near as important as the interface of box to car... The woofer is just a flappy thing with a motor attached, the box is what you actually hear.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
            Can someone point me to a 10" that fits these specs? Even the 300+ dollar 10" subs I've been researching don't come close, let alone the $50 offerings...
            Here, Luke suggested this in another thread:

I bought it from these guys:

This website is for sale! savinglots.com is your first and best source for information about savinglots. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

You still on the road Luke?
            Last edited by Brian D; 08-30-2015, 04:46 PM.
            1973 Bavaria

Comment

That powerbass m1004D will teach you how low notes are supposed to sound. Play some Lyle Lovett, listen to the string bass...

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian D View Post
                Here, Luke suggested this in another thread:

I bought it from these guys:

This website is for sale! savinglots.com is your first and best source for information about savinglots. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

You still on the road Luke?
                Nice, thanks! I just got the 4 ohm single coil one delivered. Looks like a really well made sub!

Comment

I'm impressed this thread is still alive! Just goes to show the quality of the content. I spent two hours last night reading this thread and I'm stoked to upgrade now. Thanks all and especially Luke for the info. I probably would have spent twice as much and it would have been just alright. now I can't wait. Free shipping on the website right now so that's like icing on the cake.

Two questions that I was trying to see if they were asked and I don't see them. Sorry if I missed it.

I have premium audio, however I think the original speakers have seen better days I can hear one is definitely blown.
                  The eBay sellers seem to be aware of the E30 tax and I can't find anything reasonably priced.

I do have a Boston acoustics SE50 component set for the front speakers that I haven't installed yet, would these work welI for the front ? If yes what would be advised for the rear speakers? Should I try to salvage two of the original premium speakers?

Second question, non e30 related (sorry). Luke do you have any advice for aftermarket subs for my '01 e39 m5 with the M audio (subs are attached from the bottom of the rear shelf). I don't want to do anything but replace the woofers with something that would work with the factory DSP. I have heard the ohms can make this finicky.

Big thank you to the forum and Luke for this thread.
                  I'm regretting not buying a lukebox that was on Craigslist not too long. If I only knew!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

hey luke im using a ALPINE PDX-V9 5-CHANNEL,Alpine RUX-KNOB Bass Level Remote Control,Alpine CDE-153BT AM FM CD BLUETOOTH. which subwoofer should i use for your 10" box
                    Last edited by prada88m3; 10-14-2015, 06:23 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by prada88m3 View Post
                      hey luke im using a ALPINE PDX-V9 5-CHANNEL,Alpine RUX-KNOB Bass Level Remote Control,Alpine CDE-153BT AM FM CD BLUETOOTH. which subwoofer should i use for your 10" box

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                      Nice, thanks! I just got the 4 ohm single coil one delivered. Looks like a really well made sub!

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      That powerbass m1004D will teach you how low notes are supposed to sound. Play some Lyle Lovett, listen to the string bass...
                      I got this one.

Comment

Originally posted by dinan3 View Post
                        Should I try to salvage two of the original premium speakers?

Big thank you to the forum and Luke for this thread.
                        I'm regretting not buying a lukebox that was on Craigslist not too long. If I only knew!!

Definitely salvage those premiums. See the thread above for how. E34 mids and tweeters or e34 mids and dayton audio tweeters. The sound is really nice.

Also, Luke is the man so buy your box from him new. You don't want some else's screw holes anyways. :)

Comment

What are you guys recommending for solid 5-channel amplification here.

• I had the Jensen 5500 - the subwoofer channel took a dump after 2-years
                          • I had a MB Quart OA1100.5 - took a complete dump and stunk-up the trunk with smoke after only 10 months

Does ANYONE make a good 5-channel product anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by beta14ok View Post
                            What are you guys recommending for solid 5-channel amplification here.

• I had the Jensen 5500 - the subwoofer channel took a dump after 2-years
                            • I had a MB Quart OA1100.5 - took a complete dump and stunk-up the trunk with smoke after only 10 months

Does ANYONE make a good 5-channel product anymore?
                            I can't speak for longevity, but I bought a JBL GTO 5EZ 2 months ago and have been pretty pleased with it. Still need to work on some tuning, but its plenty powerful and class AB for mids/highs and class D for the sub.

Best part is it came with a free amp kit from SonicElectronix, so I couldn't pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dinan3 View Post
                              Should I try to salvage two of the original premium speakers?
                              I think it's time we all admit that the stock "premium" speakers aren't worth their weight in monopoly money.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Why do you say that? Mine sound awesome using this write up. Granted I'm not a true audiophile but I can say that the premiums do very well especially considering their age. I have them amped up and I can crank them up till my ears can't take it and they don't sound bad at all at high volume levels. In fact they sound superb.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Working...
                                X