Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 5 channel amp do you suggest now? Looks like that Jensen Power 5500 is NLA.
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
    https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
      What 5 channel amp do you suggest now? Looks like that Jensen Power 5500 is NLA.
      BOO! I saw an FLI for like $150, is the same as the Sedona PPI and the MBQuart and the Soundstream Rubicon. The only issue is that it lacks a "summed" mode, so if you were to use one of the Pioneer decks you would not be able to have a fader...but that is just not that important anyway.

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I just bought the sub on amazon. What if we don't need a 5 channel amp? I have just some walmart 5.25" pioneer speaker with my alpine HU. Unless I really need a 5 channel?

-Trip

Comment

You need to use a 5 channel because deck power sucks donkey balls, period.

You need the adjustability and the crossovers...did I say "OK sounding" stereo? Fuck no, I said KILLER $500 Stereo...and seriously, the cost difference is minimal vs the performance.

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Do a google shopping search. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago on creativecaraudio.net for around $150. Should still be available. Sounds great. Good luck.
            sigpic
            Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Instagram @squatchboxxcoolers

Comment

Okay Luke, I am about ready to pull the trigger.

My list of things to purchase includes:

a 10" LukeBox (you)
              Infinity Reference 1062W 10" DVC woofer (Amazon)
              Kenwood KDC-X496 (eBay)
              4GA amp kit (probably Amazon - any brand recommendations here?)
              3 pairs MTX ZN5250 StreetWires (Amazon)
              PAC-LC1 remote level control (Amazon)

So that leaves the amplifier...

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              BOO! I saw an FLI for like $150, is the same as the Sedona PPI and the MBQuart and the Soundstream Rubicon. The only issue is that it lacks a "summed" mode, so if you were to use one of the Pioneer decks you would not be able to have a fader...but that is just not that important anyway.
              Do any of the amplifiers in these search results meet with your approval?

You specifically mention FLi, and there is one in that bunch. I had good success back in the day with the Rockford Fosgate stuff I bought (some 20 years ago). Is it still good/relevant?

Do you have any other amplifier recommendations under ~$250?
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Answered via PM - thanks Luke!

Comment

Oh shit, I totally forgot: check out the Planet Audio 1800.5, it is a winner. About $150ish.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Any 10" boxes still available? shipped to zip 37919?

ps also curious on the amp kit recommendations on amazon :D
                    Last edited by E30nub1; 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM.
                    sigpic"God made cars to be RWD and standard"

Comment

Originally posted by E30nub1 View Post
                      Any 10" boxes still available? shipped to zip 37919?

ps also curious on the amp kit recommendations on amazon :D
                      Yes, E3010" boxes are in stock. We also have E30 12" boxes in stock and ready to ship.

Amp kits? Well, most of them are fine. I use the Stinger product or Streetwires on most of my cars, but the "Install Bay" from Metra is OK for cheap crap. My goal is nice and flexible, but still can be stripped easily.

IMO, the Streetwires ZN5 is a perfect choice for nice RCAs on a budget.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

IMO, the Streetwires ZN5 is a perfect choice for nice RCAs on a budget.
                        Yep, on a prior tip from Luke that's exactly what I bought. Just got them Friday:

Streetwires ZN5 4-channel

Streetwires ZN5 2-channel

Comment

Anyone have experience with MB quart 4channel amps? Found one for 150 at fry's & heard good things about them. I'll only be using it to power a sub, but I want the four channel in case I want to change up my setup

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                            Anyone have experience with MB quart 4channel amps? Found one for 150 at fry's & heard good things about them. I'll only be using it to power a sub, but I want the four channel in case I want to change up my setup
                            If you are referring to the Onyx 4.60, it is a fine amp. Ask "Jean" about his, he loves it...and you should power the fronts and the sub, not just the sub.

Personally though, I recommend a 5 channel amp. I installed a Planet Audio 1800.5 a couple weeks ago, it is amazing and only $150, so you can run the whole system off of it and get WAY more power for a few more bucks.

Comes with a sub level controller too.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

I installed a Planet Audio 1800.5 a couple weeks ago, it is amazing and only $150, so you can run the whole system off of it and get WAY more power for a few more bucks.

Comes with a sub level controller too.
                              Per the discussion we were having I was looking at the 5-channel 'Quarts, though on your recommendation I just bought that Planet Audio 1800.5 and saved $100. Can't wait for my LukeBox to get here!

Comment

how much for the e30 10' and 12' boxes?

Comment

Working...
                                X