Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install a killer stereo for $500 (loads of pics)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my 10" luke box installed today with a mtx t6104a sub I have had for years, and I am blown away by the bass I am getting. Even better, when I open the trunk with the radio on, it isn't blasting bass out. The sound is all going into the cabin, which is amazing.

To anyone hesitant, or on the fence about buying one of G.A.S.'s products: Do it! It is worth every penny for the amazing engineering, fit, quality, and sound!

Luke:
    I am about to go the rest of the way with my system, and order a 5 channel amp to run the system, so I can take the load off the head unit and BP300.1 amp thats pushing the sub now, but before I do, I was wondering if you could confirm if the planet audio 1800.5 you posted a few pages back is a good match to my system:

Alpine CDA 9885 head unit
    Bravox CS50K front speakers; 4 ohm (75 watt RMS / 150 watt Max)
    Pioneer junk rear speakers (25RMS/140Max) - I will be replacing these with matching CS50k's once they blow.
    MTX Thunder 6000 T6104A Sub; 4 ohm (250 RMS/ 500 Max)

The AC1800.5 5 channel amp lists its output as:
    2 ohms: 300Wx4 + 600Wx1

Aside from the garbage pioneer rear speakers, which I will upgrade eventually, is the amp a good match for the rest of the system? Will everything else play nice together?

Disclaimer: I am useless at deciphering bridged/parrallel/2ohms/4ohms/rms/peak/trimode/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
      Got my 10" luke box installed today with a mtx t6104a sub I have had for years, and I am blown away by the bass I am getting. Even better, when I open the trunk with the radio on, it isn't blasting bass out. The sound is all going into the cabin, which is amazing.

To anyone hesitant, or on the fence about buying one of G.A.S.'s products: Do it! It is worth every penny for the amazing engineering, fit, quality, and sound!

Luke:
      I am about to go the rest of the way with my system, and order a 5 channel amp to run the system, so I can take the load off the head unit and BP300.1 amp thats pushing the sub now, but before I do, I was wondering if you could confirm if the planet audio 1800.5 you posted a few pages back is a good match to my system:

Alpine CDA 9885 head unit
      Bravox CS50K front speakers; 4 ohm (75 watt RMS / 150 watt Max)
      Pioneer junk rear speakers (25RMS/140Max) - I will be replacing these with matching CS50k's once they blow.
      MTX Thunder 6000 T6104A Sub; 4 ohm (250 RMS/ 500 Max)

The AC1800.5 5 channel amp lists its output as:
      2 ohms: 300Wx4 + 600Wx1

Aside from the garbage pioneer rear speakers, which I will upgrade eventually, is the amp a good match for the rest of the system? Will everything else play nice together?

Disclaimer: I am useless at deciphering bridged/parrallel/2ohms/4ohms/rms/peak/trimode/etc.
      Yes, perfectly....and it is on sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...email_1p_10_ti

Thanks for the words, bud..I am gonna post them on the GAS FB page!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Yes, perfectly....and it is on sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...email_1p_10_ti

Thanks for the words, bud..I am gonna post them on the GAS FB page!

Luke
        Ordered the amp today, along with new rca cables. I cannot wait to get the rest of the system put together. It sounds amazing as is. Stepping up to a better amp, and more power, I might go deaf from this car.

Now if only you turned your expertise towards getting good sound into a NA Miata. People thought it was hard to get good bass in an e30. The Miata is just about hopeless.

Comment

I just want to clear something up here for my own edification.

I see a lot of people talking about the front speakers. Is it just the front speakers that work after this rewire? Or are the rear speakers just kind of drowned out by the bass coming from the rear now? I see that you're recommending just using the stock premium speakers as well, yes? Just like the rest of the e30's with premium they have the stock tweeters in the doors and are plenty "bright" as it is. Just no damn bass in the premium kit.

I have the premium sound deck/speakers/amp in my 91 ix and want to make sure I get everything lined up before purchasing and using that LukeBox I bought oh-so-long ago.
          sigpic
          91 ix 2dr
          90 ix 4dr
          96 Taco 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by INSILICO View Post
            I just want to clear something up here for my own edification.

I see a lot of people talking about the front speakers. Is it just the front speakers that work after this rewire? Or are the rear speakers just kind of drowned out by the bass coming from the rear now? I see that you're recommending just using the stock premium speakers as well, yes? Just like the rest of the e30's with premium they have the stock tweeters in the doors and are plenty "bright" as it is. Just no damn bass in the premium kit.

I have the premium sound deck/speakers/amp in my 91 ix and want to make sure I get everything lined up before purchasing and using that LukeBox I bought oh-so-long ago.
            JEEBUS! You haven't installed it YET?

Do I need to come choke a nukka out?

You already have all the wires you need in your trunk.

Get a 5 channel and get the thing done!

LMKIICH.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I now have the planet audio amp installed along with the lukebox, and the wiring for the non premium wiring stereo install from this thread. All I can say is THE SOUND IS AMAZING! I knew the lukebox would be good. I figured the bravox components would sound better than the old pioneers. I had no idea how much better a cheap amp could make the system sound. Thank you Luke for all you assistance, and for putting this guide together!

Comment

this is a well written arcticle and easy for someone who doesnt know what they are doing to follow. I work on all the mercedes, bmw's, mini's, vw's and audi's that come into the shop i work at because no else wants to touch them. they are very easy to work on once you know what is going on. thank you for writing this for the less wirely inclined. i will actually be doing a system very soon in my 91 and ill post some pics. (wirely is not a word i just made it up sounded good)

Comment

Originally posted by swapped91 View Post
                  this is a well written arcticle and easy for someone who doesnt know what they are doing to follow. I work on all the mercedes, bmw's, mini's, vw's and audi's that come into the shop i work at because no else wants to touch them. they are very easy to work on once you know what is going on. thank you for writing this for the less wirely inclined. i will actually be doing a system very soon in my 91 and ill post some pics. (wirely is not a word i just made it up sounded good)
                  Well, thank you! I was the installer that got all the euro cars because no one else was able to explain why we charged more...so I quickly became the "german guy"...that was about 30 years ago...

Let me know if you get stuck. We don't want your car get all wirely, right?

LOL

Thanks again, man, you made my day.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Welcome to the forum swapped91. I'll look forward to the photos of your install.

Nice post Luke.

Comment

OK so I'm trying to get going on an audio upgrade.
                      Seems the Jensen 5500 5chnl is being phased out.
                      Is Planet Audio the 'suggested replacement' for it ?
                      Planet Audio AC1800.5 MOSFET Five-Channel Power Amplifier, 300 Watts x 4, 600 Watts x 1 MAX Power

Any commets/input on this Infinity unit ?

and since I'm a noobie does the planet Audio amp have built in crossovers as the Jensen does/did ? and if built into the amp does that let me remove the existing aftermarket ones for front tweeters ?
                      89 I w/ stk sound syst the PO made mo betta....front Infinity tweeters/replacement speakers/crossovers, rear coaxial, 8" speaker in trunk w/ amp. Current HU is kenwood 135 but going to replace with suggested Pioneer or similar Pioneer unit. Car is not here so I don't have current amp/ speaker specs

TIA
                      Last edited by 36brua; 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM.
                      My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Yes, the planet audio is a great choice.

By chance, is your car red?

Closing SOON!

Comment

I'll second the PA amp. As per Luke's suggestion, I bought one when I bought the 10" box.

Every time I turn up the tunes on this road trip, I have the dirtiest shit eating grin on my face.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

By chance, is your car red?
                            Not red. Car is faded and peeling cirrus blau.. but it does make me see red sometimes. I finally had time to read a few more pages of this thread and as often the case it answered my question about the amp + speaker wiring. appreciate your reply

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                            I'll second the PA amp. As per Luke's suggestion, I bought one when I bought the 10" box.

Every time I turn up the tunes on this road trip, I have the dirtiest shit eating grin on my face.

^^ Thanks I might try to get this in for a road trip to E30 picnic :D
                            My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                                Ordered the amp today, along with new rca cables. I cannot wait to get the rest of the system put together. It sounds amazing as is. Stepping up to a better amp, and more power, I might go deaf from this car.

Now if only you turned your expertise towards getting good sound into a NA Miata. People thought it was hard to get good bass in an e30. The Miata is just about hopeless.
                                Yes it is, sell that bucket.

LOL...not kidding though...

I have tried to return your email, it just will not let me send to you!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X