Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to enlarge front speaker holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to enlarge front speaker holes?

I have a set of 6.5" speakers I want to use from my previous car. So I want to install them in the stock speaker holes but the magnets on these speakers are large and they won't fit using thin spacers. I can only think about enlarging the stock holes. So what's the best way to do it? Or any other suggestions? I don't want to buy a new set of 5.25" speakers if possible.
    90 E30 S50B30
    http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

How thin are the spacers that don't fit? Also do you plan on keeping the kick panels?
    Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

This depends on a couple of things.

First is magnet diameter. If you look in the holes, you will see the door jam area protrudes into the speaker area, so your diameter is the issue, depth not so much.

Second is the glovebox and hood release and how much you care about their functionality.

There is plenty of room in the doors though, as long as you check everything carefully.

GL!
      Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
        How thin are the spacers that don't fit? Also do you plan on keeping the kick panels?
        Spacers need to be at least 1" thick. Therefore the speakers will likely interfere with the glovebox. And I want to avoid that. I may be able to do some trick on the hood release but not the glovebox. I planned to cut the kick panels to allow speakers to go through.

I'll double check the magnet size to see if it clears the door jamb first. Thanks for pointing this out, Luke. If I install them in the doors, I want them to be flush with the panels, not with the map pockets. Do you think that's possible? The mounting depth is 2.5".
        90 E30 S50B30

Comment

If you need 1" spacers, you likely won't have room...they must be huge.

I got some Polk 6.5" MOMO series midbass int he doors of a late model, they are like 2.75" D, but I used a 1/8" spacer under the door panel, was a very tight fit.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Old school MB Quart Q series. The magnet itself isn't bad. It's the shape of the basket that causes the problem.

Do you have any pictures of the Polk in the doors? I'd like to see how you did it.
            90 E30 S50B30

Comment

Originally posted by RoadHazard View Post
              Old school MB Quart Q series. The magnet itself isn't bad. It's the shape of the basket that causes the problem.

Do you have any pictures of the Polk in the doors? I'd like to see how you did it.
              Yeah, that basket is gonna cause you grief on the kicks.

BTW: I rarely take pics of stuff I only do once, but they are out there somewhere, the pics were not mine but they were shared a couple years ago.

Can I offer you a dirty dirty idea?

Put your glovebox on sliders and use a linear actuator to open and close it. Or, on the cheap, use a power antenna motor or a window motor...think how sexy that would be, using a stock power top switch...just remove the latch alltogether.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Yeah, that basket is gonna cause you grief on the kicks.

BTW: I rarely take pics of stuff I only do once, but they are out there somewhere, the pics were not mine but they were shared a couple years ago.

Can I offer you a dirty dirty idea?

Put your glovebox on sliders and use a linear actuator to open and close it. Or, on the cheap, use a power antenna motor or a window motor...think how sexy that would be, using a stock power top switch...just remove the latch alltogether.
                Fuckin' A Scotty! What a grand god damn idea sir.
                Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Working...
                X